Original VPI Aries vs VPI classic 3

I currently have an original Vpi Aries and it works just fine. I was just thinking about upgrading tables and I have been looking at the Vpi classic 3. I'm wondering if this is worth the upgrade. I can get around 1800.00 for my table so I'm looking at spending about 4000.00 to get the classic 3.
taters
I think around $1700 - but this also included a second arm tube. I had a JMW 10.5 with two arm tubes (one for my stereo cartridge and the other for my mono cartridge). VPI took this in trade for a 10.5i with two arm tubes. They wouldn't take my Aries 1 chassis in on trade, but I easily sold that on Audiogon for a fair price. This was about 5-6 years ago, so I can't say if VPI will still take 10.5 arms in on trade, but it can't hurt to ask.

As mentioned previously, this was a huge upgrade. I credit the Valhalla wiring in the 10.5i plus the more rigid mounting of the 10.5i for much of this, but certainly the chassis/plinth helped too. Dynamics became more explosive, PRAT improved SIGNIFICANTLY, as both were being smeared with the original Aries plus 10.5. Resolution improved too, and with this soundstaging and imaging improved too. Clarity and tonality improved as well. The overall improvement was so dramatic I was left thinking that the original Aries wasn't that good of a table. The upgrade was well worth the dollars I spent.

I should point out that the same platter and bearing were used, so my observations remove that as a factor. The platter in use back then was the TNT V platter. I subsequently switched to the clear acrylic plus outer ring and center weight. Later this year I will likely swap in the Classic platter.
Macster, According to the VPI website the difference in price
between the classic-1 and the Aries-3 is 1200.00 and that doesn't include a tonearm.
I'm using the platter, arm, and feet from my Classic. :-)

Trust me.

Call them, and see if they have something in place for you to trade your table in and get what you want and for them to get what they want. They may even have a blemished one or something. Be positive.

M~