Recommendation for analog set for $700

I am interested to try out the analog world and would like a recommendation to jump start my research.

I am using Almarro 318B and Zu Omen Def speakers. I think I need a turn table and a phono preamp. I am looking to spend around $700 on them? I can stretch it a bit, but really like to keep it under $1000.

Thanks.
gte357s
buy used. You can get much more bang for buck. try Oracle Alexandria, VPI HW19, Sota Star, Basis 1400, or a 70s era high end japanese direct drive and spend your savings on a good cartridge or phono preamp.
Thanks for the input. Can you please recommend the whole set? Including cartridge and phono preamp? Is there a specific cartridge match better with a specific turntable? Also, how about the stylus?

And if I am buying used, what should I looked out for and what question should I ask? It seems the age of the cartridge is important as the rubber damper may get harden. What is the usual life of a cartridge? Like 20 years? And I read some saying it is in perfect adjustment of the speed and tension ... how can I test it if I buy used?

I know there is a lot of questions, and this is one of the reason I try to stay away from analog. It is a totally different animal.
BTW, there is a Rega P3 for sale in local craigslist for $400. It is from the 80's. It has R200 tone arm and XLM MK III cartridge. The hour of the cartridge is unknown, the seller bought it used, and put maybe 200 hours on it. Is it a fair price?
Offer $325 for the rega with the cart or $275 without? Either way, you might want to have an analog shop check out a 25+ year old table.
Sbrownnw, thanks for the advice. I see pretty solid comments on the P3. Is there other better choice out there, or that's a good one? Is it a beginner or intermediate level turntable?