Recommendation for analog set for $700

I am interested to try out the analog world and would like a recommendation to jump start my research.

I am using Almarro 318B and Zu Omen Def speakers. I think I need a turn table and a phono preamp. I am looking to spend around $700 on them? I can stretch it a bit, but really like to keep it under $1000.

Thanks.
gte357s

Showing 10 responses by gte357s

Chayro, thanks for the advice, I agree with you. The only reason I am interested in the Empire is that there is on currently selling locally a bit less than P3-24, and it seems it has good review. but if it is something that requires set up, then I will pass.

It seems I will wait and target for a Rega P3.

Next question is ... What cartridge and phono preamp to go with the Rega? Any suggestion? Assuming I can get a P3 for 300-400, then I am thinking a cartridge ~$200, preamp ~$200.
Thanks for the input. Can you please recommend the whole set? Including cartridge and phono preamp? Is there a specific cartridge match better with a specific turntable? Also, how about the stylus?

And if I am buying used, what should I looked out for and what question should I ask? It seems the age of the cartridge is important as the rubber damper may get harden. What is the usual life of a cartridge? Like 20 years? And I read some saying it is in perfect adjustment of the speed and tension ... how can I test it if I buy used?

I know there is a lot of questions, and this is one of the reason I try to stay away from analog. It is a totally different animal.
BTW, there is a Rega P3 for sale in local craigslist for $400. It is from the 80's. It has R200 tone arm and XLM MK III cartridge. The hour of the cartridge is unknown, the seller bought it used, and put maybe 200 hours on it. Is it a fair price?
Sbrownnw, thanks for the advice. I see pretty solid comments on the P3. Is there other better choice out there, or that's a good one? Is it a beginner or intermediate level turntable?
Latinsamba1, I personally don't think you will get a lot of improvement by upgrading the DAC.

And the more I research, the more I am worried. It seems that a turntable requires a lot of maintenance. It seems the speed may go wrong, it seems it has to be perfectly horizontal, it seems the suspension need to be adjusted ... am I right?

If the answer is yes, is there anything that need less set up or maintenance?
Lowerider57, Thanks for the clarification!

I see there is a Project Perspective. I like its look. Is it a good unit? Is it one of those set and forget unit?
Lowerider57, Thanks for the clarification!

I see there is a Project Perspective. I like its look. Is it a good unit? Is it one of those set and forget unit?
please ignore the post above, I press refresh and post it twice.

Lohanimal, I am not prepare to do diy. In fact, totally opposite. I don't want to spend too much time to set up and maintain. I am looking for something more plug and play with minimal adjustment.

I think I am looking to spend 400-500 on the turntable including tonearm and cartilage, and 200-300 on the phono preamp.
I think I am increasing my budget, and considering two units - Empire 598 III and Rega P3-24. I think they are very different, one vintage, one modern. Which one is better?
I got an impression that the tone arm and cartridge is more important than the table itself, am I right?

I am considering that Debut Carbon also. It has a Carbon fiber arm, is it good or gimmick?