Results from Eliminating Anti-Skate

I removed my anti-skate device from my VPI tonearm, and the improvement is nothing short of astonishing. I had anti-skate set very low since the 12 inch tonearm needs very little anti-skate. Naturally in removing the device, I had to reset the arm which may (or may not {I was very carful setting it up before}) account for the difference in sound, but with the elimination of anti-skate, there is much better dynamic contrasts, much better bass, much cleaner and clearer midrange, and sweeter highs. I think that adding anti-skate deadened the sound. Try removing the device....not just setting the gizmo to 0, but remove the entire device and have a listen. I have a VPI Superscout/Classic platter/10.5i/Benz LPS/used in balanced mode.
128x128stringreen
Why not just disconnect the string prior to removing it completely to see if it makes a difference.
some of the records will make stylus slide and scratch the very first track. make sure that you're landing your needle right onto the first track than to prevent sliding.
Do you have a grooveless record or laser disc with the center hole increased to fit a 45 adapter to test antiskate?
Post removed