TRIP TO TORONTO. WHAT TO DO...

The thing is that I will be visiting my son who is studying at the University of Toronto next Easter week.

My interests when visiting a new city -apart from blues and rock music shows- are:

1.- Contemporary architecture;

2.- Discovering places and neighborhoods not mentioned on tourist guides;

3.- One day trip to towns around the main city;

4.- Local "cuisine" as there´s an Spanish cuisine. Not meaning "hi-end cuisine" a la Ferrán Adriá. This trend seems to me like 70s progressive music -how to get the more complicated pentatonic scale-. Let´s keep it simple;

5.- Eating on the cheap. I mean affordable prices. Not breaking the bank;

6.- Drinking undiscovered beers and/or unexpected wines

7.- Bookstores (if they still exists); CD stores -if they still exist- and why not -the vice strikes again- audio stores -if they still exist-;

I´m open to your suggestions.

Thank you all.

Daniel
jesusa0
I lived in Orillia and drove past London to Chatham to visit home so I know what you mean Ct0517. I did enjoy stopping at yorkdale to shop and hitting the stereo shops that used to line Yonge st. some years back
What can I say?

Awesome and overwhelming.

I can see you canadians and some americans have a special fondness for Toronto.

Please, keep coming with more suggestions. For instance, contemporary residential architecture in Toronto. Is there any Richard Meier house or building? Or something like that.

An aside note: while writing this entry I´m listening Donald Fagen´s adventures in low-fi. Yes, the truly boring, poor sounding and worst produced "Suken Condos" japanese CD. And the sad thing is that this come from a die-hard Steely Dan fan.
Ask for, "Canadian Bacon" with your breakfast, and see if the waitress knows what the hell you're talking about.
Audiowoman, that is a really long drive. Makes our 3 hour drive seem not so far, a little traffic can add an hour or more. At least its driveable; not like Daniel having to deal with Toronto customs/security, and a long flight.

I remember Toronto on boxing day - for Americans its the day after Christmas which is a holiday here in Canada. There were big lineups to get into Sam the Record Man on Yonge St and the other record stores to buy lps. Now the lineups are at Best Buy and other big box stores for TV’s, computers and music that you take with you.

Marakanetz – last nights score Toronto 5 – Ottawa – 4
I would happily take that drive now. Currently I live in Richmond VA and drive back a couple times a year - 12 hours + depending on traffic and pitstops for us and the dog!
I remember very well everyone shopping at Sam's and also all the "fur" dealerships getting fined for being open on Boxing Day....everything used to be closed till the day after.