Electronic stylus force gauge question

I recently bought my first electronic stylus force gauge. It's a generic type made in China, but looks and feels a surprisingly decent quality. It was purchased from Mehran at SoraSound for those who happen to have it.

I noticed that when I try to measure the VTF, the gauge begins to display a minus reading of -0.01-03 g as I'm lowering the tonearm to place the stylus on the black dot. It then displays a steady reading once the stylus is placed on the dot, which appears to be accurate by comparing with the Shure gauge I used in the past.

I make sure that the platter is secured so I'm not quite sure why the gauge displays the minus reading before the stylus lands in the measuring spot.

Has anyone else experienced this with their electronic gauge? I realize the minus value is arguably negligible, and the issue might be of no practical significance, but I'm trying to get my Delos to track as close to 1.75 as possible so I wonder whether I need to adjust for the minus value. I'm also curious why this is happening.

actusreus
I used the less than $15 pocket scale from ebay. Very accurate. Nickel weighs out to 5.00g and my audio shop had a 5.01g weight for calibrating and the scale was dead on. Has a tare button and does US / metric. Also comes with an extra battery and case.

pocket scale - no affiliation
Sbrownnw...thanks for the link to that scale! You can buy several of these for the price of one of the other scales.

I'm going to order one and try it.
It's evident from several recent threads that Actusreus is not yet comfortable with trusting his ears and prefers the security of measurements, even measurements that don't necessarily correlate to optimal sonics. If he believes that every Lyra is so free of sample deviations that precisely 1.75g of downforce is optimal, well, Jonathon Carr himself would tell him otherwise but we all have our own way of enjoying this silly hobby. It certainly won't do any harm to play at that downforce. ;-)

Doug,
You're misinterpreting my posts, or perhaps I'm not expressing myself clearly enough. I don't recall ever stating that I don't trust my ears; what I do criticize, however, is the blank assertion that only adjusting by ear can result in optimal sound in an absolute sense. What you might find optimal might not be optimal for another. Especially since your taste in music is vastly different from many fellow audiophiles'.

I also find your statements about the Delos a bit ridiculous. Even more so since you don't own one. It actually was J. Carr who told me and every other Delos owner that the cartridge performs best at a VTF of 1.75 g, in plain English in the Delos' manual. It was designed that way. In fact, every Delos and Kleos owner seems to uniformly be of the opinion that they do sound best at 1.75 g, even in this thread. So I find your criticism a bit ignorant. And if you trust your ears so much, why do you even have a scale at all? And why use protractors at all? Just slap that bad boy on and adjust by listening.

I'm not going to make apologies or made feel embarrassed because I want to know whether I'm tracking at what one of the most accomplished cartridge designers in the world with a long-known religious attention to and focus on the quality of his product recommends, which happens to sound heavenly to me as well. Unlike you (and frankly most likely 90% of audiophiles out there), I cannot hear the changes in the sound at the level you can. I fully realize that you know way more than I do about analog, but you sometimes come off as rather patronizing, which is unnecessary. Especially regarding equipment you don't own or have no familiarity with.

I will always value your opinion, but perhaps you can consider that not everyone has the gift (or the curse) you and Paul have when responding to honest, even if naive, questions. Many of us just want to set our system up an listen to music, not tweak it for every record.
Jeez,so he wants to know that his VTF is deadnuts on 1.75 gr. ,nothing wrong with that! Someone is having a bad day,no need to take it out on Actusreus!
My apologies if my post came across as patronizing. I did attempt (not so successfully) to acknowledge what you just said, that, "Many of us just want to set our system up and listen to music, not tweak it for every record."

The last bit of my post that you quoted spoke to that, "..we all have our own way of enjoying this silly hobby. It certainly won't do any harm to play at that downforce."

Bingo on the gift of sensitive hearing also being a curse. We have had to walk out of restaurants because the piped in music was insufferable. Fifty years ago my mother used to leave the room when certain popular vocalists came on the radio or TV. My father would happily listen while she was stuffing cotton in her ears. (I've heard those vocalists again recently, on those TV promo ads for oldies collections... Paul and I run and hide with my mom, lol.) We don't tweak because we want to, we tweak because we have to.

Again, my apologies for belaboring a point that was not what you were asking.