Is a vinyl rig only worth it for oldies?

I have always been curious about vinyl and its touted superiority over digital, so I decided to try it for myself. Over the course of the past several years I bought a few turntables, phono stages, and a bunch of new albums. They sounded fine I thought, but didn't stomp all over digital like some would tend to believe.

It wasn't until I popped on some old disk that I picked up used from a garage sale somewhere that I heard what vinyl was really about: it was the smoothest, most organic, and 3d sound that ever came out of my speakers. I had never heard anything quite like it. All of the digital I had, no matter how high the resolution, did not really come close to approaching that type of sound.

Out of the handful of albums I have from the 70s-80s, most of them have this type of sound. Problem is, most of my music and preferences are new releases (not necessarily in an audiophile genre) or stuff from the past decade and these albums sounded like music from a CD player but with the added noise, pops, clicks, higher price, and inconveniences inherent with vinyl. Of all the new albums I bought recently, only two sounded like they were mastered in the analog domain.

It seems that almost anything released after the 2000's (except audiophile reissues) sounded like music from a CD player of some sort, only worse due to the added noise making the CD version superior. I have experienced this on a variety of turntables, and this was even true in a friend's setup with a high end TT/cart.

So my question is, is vinyl only good for older pre-80s music when mastering was still analog and not all digital?
solman989
but there is no chance of vinyl winning the race over the long term, right?

Not sure about that, and right now, I'm not sure that the major labels think that either. I think they are tired of putting out CDs and then not being able to sell their stock as the download thing has really hurt them. So they have been turning to LPs as something they can sell that has a little more immunity. Its funny, in 1985 most of the labels were saying that they would be done doing vinyl by 1987; here we are 25 years later...

So as a result finding music on vinyl these days is the easiest its been in years. BTW 1993 was the year of the least vinyl production.

Now if they can come up with a digital format that denies duplication we might see digital experience a resurgence. But right now the LP industry is a growth industry and any player in it has as much work as they can handle.

I had arguably the best digital system made (Stahltek, $72,000) in our room at RMAF. The designer was there. I played him a cut on both the digital (192KHz 24-bit) and LP. He simply turned to me and said 'Digital has such a long way to go...' He was not mad- he loves analog, and I think its that pragmatic approach that is why he makes the best digital.
Ralph (Atmasphere) and other vinyl lovers -- a couple of comments and Qs:

I've been an audiophile hobbyist since my late teens back in the early 70s. I'm almost 60 yrs old now. I mention all this because I started with vinyl; pretty much the only game in town in the 70s unless you were a real-to-real-head.

Over the years, I've put together a rig that gives me a lot of pleasure. My systenm has both "redbook" CD and vinyl source inputs. Foundation now set for my comments and Qs.

The comments: As regards my CD source input, I've picked up some discs over the years that are very nice sounding. Some digital recordings from unexpected places and not so well recognized labels too. More dogs than diamonds I'm sorry to say. I attribute this more to the recording quality than the CD format.

As regards vinyl, similar comments. Some gems; some dogs. But . . . last night, I received in the mail an LP just purchased off the "Gon" -- Leopold Stokowoski conducting the London Philharmonic Orchestra, playing Stravinsky's Firebird Suite plus other goodies like Tchaikovsky's Marche Slave and Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain (London Phase 4 Stereo SPC 21026). WOW!! WOW!! and one more time -- WOOWW!!

I closed my eyes and was there in front of the orchestra. Could even sense concert hall LF resonances that I could literally feel in my gut. There's was a certain life and energy to the music that I rarely if ever took away from a CD, even though I've come across some digital gems here and there.

I have other London Phase 4 and ffrr recordings that do great justice to the music too -- but not like the LP mentioned above. My bottom line thought is that I really like the vinyl medium. I find it very involving -- starting with pulling the LP out of the jacket and then reading the inner sleeve comments while listening to the music.

Yes . . . , I like my CD set up too and have no intention of tossing it in favor of vinyl or some other so called super hi-rez "niche" digital formats. And I'm just too old to start exploring computer based formats. Having said all of that, I still love my vinyl rig and would like to source more predictable, less risk high quality labels (vintage or new).

The Qs: Ralph, have you commercialized your LP set-up and if so, where can one purchase your recordings. Also, to avoid a lot of the risk and uncertainty when looking to buy quality LP recordings, is there any information source or web site where I can buy LPs (used or new) of top quality?

Thanks and regards,

Bruce (bifwynne)
I have a test pressing of one of Ralph's recordings. It features Ralph on flute and his then wife on vocals. Great recording and exactly what Ralph is talking about in this thread. Man, O' Man ... nothing like tubes from the beginning to the end.
Dear Atmasphere: +++++ " I would invite you to spend some time with a mastering lathe sometime. It may change your opinion. " ++++

thank's, I will take this seriously and next time I can be on USA I let you know. I know that could be a learning experience additional to meet you.

+++++ " There are those that say its a miracle that the LP system works, but its not a miracle, its simple engineering and an understanding of the nuances. " +++++

I know the enginnering that is inside the playback links on analog ( LP ) systems and what I posted was mainly what happen during LP playback where I can't read in your post nothing against my post.

Ralph, there is no way for no cartridge for no LP analog system that can " read/track " exactly all the grooves in the recording with no exception.

Forget all the " problems " during LP playback I posted and think for a moment how you or any one could gives " support " or speak of " superiority " to the LP playback when in this medium we can't even READ WITH ACCURACY WITH PRECISION ANY SINGLE GROOVE IN ANY LP!!!!!!!!!!

The LP playback medium IMHO is heavely faulty it does not matters that we like it or not. IMHO we can't " shout " the " superiority " of the analog over digital and in specific 24/176.8 recordings.

Ralph and any one of you: please test for two-three weeks the digital medium with out listening analog LP in between and then after those weeks return to analog and share your experiences about.

Gentlemans, I still enjoy the LP alternative as all of you but this is not the subject but what is happening down there.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
It seems to me, that the out of hand dismissal of CD sound quality, is a little out of date. Ironically, as LP became a"legacy" medium, the offerings of turntables, arms and phonostages etc, exploded in terms of quality and quantity.

I put legacy in quote marks for vinyl, as it seems to be going from strength to strength. If one medium is threatened, it's CD, with sales falling off a cliff and some manufacturers, like Linn, abandoning CD players altogether. Well what is left seems, compared to 20 years ago, to be of such better quality. Even middle grade CD players are excellent and the top end, Nagr's, Zanden's and Wadia's, quite superb. Better than top flight LP? maybe not, but the gap is smaller and the effort and cost of getting to top flight sound, a jolly sight easier.

The argument for having both, for me, is the greater access it gives yme, to the range of music I want in my collection. I am an opera lover and live in the UK, so the incomparable world of 50's to 70's EMI and Decca boxed sets, is available on E bay, garage sales and charity shops. In this instance, the CD copies of these recordings, I absolutely would agree, is nowhere near as good.

Is one better than the other? maybe, do I care, no. I weant access to the music I want, in the best format it's available on. That might be CD or vinyl.