Are there any other EAR 834P modders lately?

I had to beg David Schulte of Upgrade Company to mod my EAR 834P because there are so many detractors. There are also loads of DIY people who have tweaked the circuit in custom ways. The changes I had made include V-cap coupling caps and RFI shileding. Switching from using the 12AX7 tubes to 5751 or 12AT7 tubes if you can handle the lower gain also is highly beneficial. I use Valvo 6201 blue print in the one spot, Brimar and Siemen Halske 12AT7's in the gain stages 2 & 3. 2 is not left and 3 is not right- it sums the tubes for the gain stage left and right. My results are stunning. Because the 12AT7's only have 70% of the gain or the 12AX7, I changed out my Bent Audio step up tranny's for Bob's Devices Cinemag 1131 with a 1:40 or 1:20, ratio which is adjusted at the flip of a toggle switch.
zenbret
As I mentioned in my first post, it is not the type of tube that matters as
much as wether that particular tube (in your case a 12AU7) is a good
sounding tube or not in it's own right, and complements your setup and
your tastes; as long as that variant works in a particular circuit, of course.
I find it more than a little silly that someone would suggest that 12AU7's
as a group improve bass; it's simply not the case. Having said that, the
right 12AU7 can sound very good in V3. I sometimes use a German
Amperex 12AU7 in V3 and it sounds excellent, with a very refined and
smooth, detailed sound; although not as full-bodied as my Tele 12AX7's
nor Raytheon 7025's.

Another example: I don't know how often I hear guys say that 5751's are
the ticket in this phono stage. They then go out and buy inferior 5751's,
and wonder what the hoopla is about.

BTW, the lead bars are for dampening. I never considered that they may
be help shield RFI. They just might especially considering I don't use the
cover. Regardless, I find them very effective in really tightening things up,
and improving definition.
Stevecham, to be clear, I didn't mean to suggest you were being silly. I was referring to then references you cited. Regards.
Frogman no offense taken and I want to be clear that I did not get the recommendation to try a 12AU7 in V3 from Audiogon members; it was from another popular but unmentionable site that, more and more, I have shied away from.
Stevecham and Frogman and especially Tfkaudio- thanks all for the tips. I am still a little run down from being sick for 10 days- but going to see Dweezil and company last night was worth the drive after working all day. After sleeping in I rolled some Telefuncan 12AX7's in and A/B'ed things. I have to agree that there was some RIAA change with the lower voltage just as you said. Like you said, Frogman, the Tele's do sound great in the V2 and V3 with the right imput tube in V1. I get a better overall balance of sound and really none of the lack of detail and focus that I felt I personally hear in my EAR phono stage with a 12AX7 in V1. The Sylvania gold pin 6201 easily beat out the GE 5751 ( though it does have lovely midrange warmth) and was very close to my still reigning favorite the Valvo 6201 blue print. You have me tweaked to hear a 7025, but I think I have spent a little much on tubes for a while. Thanks for setting me straight to listen with fresh ears and notice my bias that I had. I listened to Miles Davis Kind Of Blue Flamenco Sketches 45rpm and the first side of the new AP 45prm Dave Bubeck Take Five- which you might do yourself a favor and get a copy before they sell out- for the rolling session. Cheers you all!
I'm wondering if you guys could help me out as EAR has been less than helpful. A long time ago I purchased an 834p that was supposed to be mc and mm - it has the switch - the box says so etc. - but come to find out from my tech there is no mc stage! The two parts for it in the back corner aren't there. Talk about frustrating - anyway, could anyone tell me what those two parts are exactly (OEM) so I can have him put them in? EAR wants a gob of money for them but wouldn't tell me what they are.