Goldfinger Statement, Lyra Atlas or Ortofon Anna?

Hello, I'd like to get a new high-resolution MC cartridge for my Versa Dynamics 2.3 turntable.

My favorites in alphabetical order are:

Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement
Lyra Atlas
Ortofon MC Anna

My former cartridges were Clearaudio Insider Reference Wood, Dynavector DRT XV-1s and Ortofon MC A90.

The sound of my system is nearly well balanced, perhaps it is a little bit on the cooler side. Cartridges with too "hot" high frequencies will also not harmonize.

I am looking for: Beautiful Tone colors / timbres, very good sound on strings and nice soundtage with "body" and good depth. Dynamics are not so important to me, my systems sound is already very dynamic.

Perhabs nobody has ever compared all three of the mentioned cartridges, or maybe not even two of the three. But perhaps you have heard one of them or have some impressions and thoughts.

I probably listen to 1/3 jazz, 1/3 classical and 1/3 chorus/vocal.
My phonostage is Audio Research Ref Phono 2, speakers are Genesis II.

What do you thing?
Which not to choose?
Which one to choose?

I look forward to any other suggestions.
Thanks in advance for all of you help and inputs.
Alex
al2
Versa Dynamics V2.3 is the ultimate expression of this unique record player - from the responses regarding which arm you use, it is clear the poster(s) are not familiar with the Versa. In a nutshell - Versa is linear tracking headshell on air bearing, to be precise, it is SHORTER in effective lenght than your average headshell ( IEC/SME type ) - and has all the goodies necessary to support such a short arm in practice - meaning it has got to have vacuum down clamping system for the LP to be flat and not create too gross variations OF VTA, which become very audible even for relatively low warpage, which goes mostly well tolerated on conventional lenght pivoted arms. It goes one step beyond that - it adds air bearing for the platter ... I consider it to be still the best record player in existance, all things considered.

Before you splash not an inconsiderable amount of money, please consider this type of arm is ideal for high compliance cartridges. The following actually happened about 10 or so years ago: a friend finally got his Versa and since I am known to be good with turntable setup agreed I will do it. Knowing the complexity of the Versa, I chose not to risk an expensive cart for the initial set up and generally getting acquainted with the design and its numerous adjustments - one oopsa can be quite costly, as you all well know. I chose Ortofon OM 20 Super ( a superb cartridge, far underestimated by the fact equipment usually paired with can not possibly do it justice ) for the initial setup . Flying colours - never before (or since) did I measure/observe on an oscilloscope signal from vynil this good. I remember actually checking out whether signal generator has actually been unplugged from the mains, so clean was the reproduction of test signals from test LPs !

Theoretically and practically, Versa/OM 20 Super is match made in H-V-N. It sounded simply impeccable, Maria Callas in particular. So, if the table sound this good with a comparatively low priced MM, imagine how much better still it should be with the flagship MC - another Ortofon, MC 7500 at the time. That was the reasoning of my friend/owner, but I had reservations and said, well, listen to Versa /OM20 Super for a couple of days. NOOOO ! Ok, down went 20 and on 7500. Well, I did feel sorry and pity for my friend, as the Versa / MC 7500 produced the looooongest face I have ever seen in audio. Try as I might, the too low compliance of the MC 7500 was a definite no go with the Versa - ultimately, it was paired with Helius Cyalene, a heavy pivoted arm, where it finally started to sing.

VERY good results with Versa are achievable with Benz Rubys and Ebonys and TRs - all of which I have adjusted, heard and have long term satisfaction feedback from my friend. Please note these Benz carts were not the latest brass housings, which in my opinion are too heavy - but YMMV. I remember original Lyra Clavis and Parnasus were very good match with the Versa, as both Benz and Lyra, at least back then, did not use too stiff suspension/too low a compliance. Clearadios are stiffer and I would not buy it before I heard it with Versa. Orofon MC Anna also seems to be a low compliance design - a no go with Versa. For those not familiar with Versa effective masses - horizontal it is quite high, the mass of the cartridge plus at least 30 grams, but vertically can be as low as 2 and not more than say 7 grams, depending on the material of the cartridge holder/headshell one is using with.

If you do take the challenge and actually decide to try Ortofon OM 20 Super, please restrain yourself from on paper better styli 30 ( Fine Line ) and 40 ( VdH II ). If you feel elliptical on Stylus 20 is not enough, send it to a good retipping facility for at least VdH II or Gyger II - the suspension on cantilever of Stylus 20 just sounds ( and measures ) better than either 30 or 40.
Versa Dynamics V2.3 is the ultimate expression of this unique record player - from the responses regarding which arm you use, it is clear the poster(s) are not familiar with the Versa. In a nutshell - Versa is linear tracking headshell on air bearing, to be precise, it is SHORTER in effective lenght than your average headshell ( IEC/SME type ) - and has all the goodies necessary to support such a short arm in practice - meaning it has got to have vacuum down clamping system for the LP to be flat and not create too gross variations OF VTA, which become very audible even for relatively low warpage, which goes mostly well tolerated on conventional lenght pivoted arms. It goes one step beyond that - it adds air bearing for the platter ... I consider it to be still the best record player in existance, all things considered.

Before you splash not an inconsiderable amount of money, please consider this type of arm is ideal for high compliance cartridges. The following actually happened about 10 or so years ago: a friend finally got his Versa and since I am known to be good with turntable setup agreed I will do it. Knowing the complexity of the Versa, I chose not to risk an expensive cart for the initial set up and generally getting acquainted with the design and its numerous adjustments - one oopsa can be quite costly, as you all well know. I chose Ortofon OM 20 Super ( a superb cartridge, far underestimated by the fact equipment usually paired with can not possibly do it justice ) for the initial setup . Flying colours - never before (or since) did I measure/observe on an oscilloscope signal from vynil this good. I remember actually checking out whether signal generator has actually been unplugged from the mains, so clean was the reproduction of test signals from test LPs !

Theoretically and practically, Versa/OM 20 Super is match made in H-V-N. It sounded simply impeccable, Maria Callas in particular. So, if the table sound this good with a comparatively low priced MM, imagine how much better still it should be with the flagship MC - another Ortofon, MC 7500 at the time. That was the reasoning of my friend/owner, but I had reservations and said, well, listen to Versa /OM20 Super for a couple of days. NOOOO ! Ok, down went 20 and on 7500. Well, I did feel sorry and pity for my friend, as the Versa / MC 7500 produced the looooongest face I have ever seen in audio. Try as I might, the too low compliance of the MC 7500 was a definite no go with the Versa - ultimately, it was paired with Helius Cyalene, a heavy pivoted arm, where it finally started to sing.

VERY good results with Versa are achievable with Benz Rubys and Ebonys and TRs - all of which I have adjusted, heard and have long term satisfaction feedback from my friend. Please note these Benz carts were not the latest brass housings, which in my opinion are too heavy - but YMMV. I remember original Lyra Clavis and Parnasus were very good match with the Versa, as both Benz and Lyra, at least back then, did not use too stiff suspension/too low a compliance. Clearadios are stiffer and I would not buy it before I heard it with Versa. Orofon MC Anna also seems to be a low compliance design - a no go with Versa. For those not familiar with Versa effective masses - horizontal it is quite high, the mass of the cartridge plus at least 30 grams, but vertically can be as low as 2 and not more than say 7 grams, depending on the material of the cartridge holder/headshell one is using with.

If you do take the challenge and actually decide to try Ortofon OM 20 Super, please restrain yourself from on paper better styli 30 ( Fine Line ) and 40 ( VdH II ). If you feel elliptical on Stylus 20 is not enough, send it to a good retipping facility for at least VdH II or Gyger II - the suspension on cantilever of Stylus 20 just sounds ( and measures ) better than either 30 or 40.
As an Ortofon dlr who also owns A90 and now the new Anna I can say the Anna will amaze! If slightly more warmth and tone color is what you're looking for, the Anna will provide those and dynamics, rock solid imaging, and by far the most musical presentation possible. I must state that personally I have not had the opportunity to compare the Anna to the Goldfinger or the Lyra Atlas. I'm using the Anna in a Spiral Groove Centroid arm on the SG1.1 table and in a Tri-Planar arm as well with stunning results.