Can I Degauss my vinyl ?

Some people use the Walker Talisman to demagnetize their records. Can I use a 110 V electric degausser used on televisions to do the same? the cost for one of these is $20 as compared to the Walker @ $250.00+
128x128blueskiespbd
To completely remove the static on a record just use a conductive carbon fiber brush (in which the fibers are connected through the metal handle to your hand (body)). This drains static charge, and removes dust particles effectively in two rotations. There are several makes. I use an old DECCA brush.

I do not believe there is "magnetic" vinyl or carbon black in records that could possibly cause an audible change. These "improvements" and "explanations" are "power of suggestion" and "imagination" to sell BS products!

These "differences" in sound playing the same side over again are probably due to subtle amplifier warmup or cool down effects, and vinyl material, deforming and relaxing, in sensitive high resolution speakers IMO!

If you listen to the same record over again it always sounds better the second time!
Don, I instinctively agree with you. But the fact is that the vinyl either does or does not contain ferrous particles that are or are not magnetizable. These are questions that can be resolved, up or down. I am curious to learn whether there is any merit at all in that claim.

As to the "electromagnetic" property of a rotating LP carrying electrostatic charge, if that does happen it ought to be correctible by any good anti-static method, as you suggest. You don't need a $2700 Furutech if that's the major issue.
Demagnetizing anything that does not contain iron is pure hocus pocus. A demagnetizer will not affect (I mean REMOVE) static charges either, although it might move them around.

Same with demagnetizing CDs. They only contain Al (or maybe gold) films that are uneffected by magnetic fields.

Reminds me of that AS review back in the 80's claiming photons have an impact on speaker wire...
Dhl, I think there is unanimity on your major point, if the underlying assumption is valid, but the question is ARE there in fact ferrous materials present in the pot from which LPs are generated? One person on this thread claimed that there are.
Lewm:

You mean iron contaminents in the vinyl? Even if there were, one would have to draw a connection between the amount of contamination and the properties of the vinyl. Seems a very big stretch to me.