Certainly. Follow the same instructions as used on a picture tube. The movement toward and away is the big thing...
And do it on both sides? (not certain if needed on both sides)
ALL $$$$ Audiophile tweaks have cheap substitutes.. at least OMO!!!
How is it that vinyl can become "magnetized"?. Static electricity can be a problem, but I fail to see how a record becomes magnetized. Sounds like voodoo to me!!
Isn't that what a zerostat does? Although for 100 bucks it is arguably a little on the expensive side.
I must be missing something here. How can vinyl become magnetized? Statically charged I can understand, but magnetized? Degaussing is the process of reducing or eliminating a magnetic charge. Vinyl, being non-ferrous, should not be able to become magnetized so how would a degaussing device be doing anything? Do they also remove static charges?
Zerostat takes care of static which I assumed the poster meant.
Nope static and magnetism are different animals and BOTH can be removed from Lps.
The whole magnetic thing has been discussed and you would have to Google it as i am not going to go there, except to say that some intelligent audio folks swear by it.
So, I still do not know if anyone in vinyl land is trying the
degausser. There are no directions so am unsure about the best method to use this device. I do use the zerostat for static but as Elizabeth said that is a horse of a different color. I think you need to do both sides.
Blue Skies, there has been at least one good, informative thread on this issue. You may be able to find it by doing a search here. The sum and substance of it was that those who degauss mostly think they can hear a difference. Those who use very expensive degaussers are happy. Others who use cheap ones are also happy. There was one post with very good instructions on how to use an inexpensive handheld degausser to good effect. You have to be careful, because those devices can magnetize as well as demagnetize. They only demag when used correctly. At least one of the expensive ones dedicated to LP use is programmed to avoid the undesired result. That's why you pay the big bucks. (Cannot recall the brand name.)
As for me, although I am a determined and aggressive foe of static electricity, I prefer not to enter the weird wild world of "magnetic" LPs.
Lewm: The way a degausser will magnetize is to turn it on, or off in close proximity to the item to be 'degaussed'.
The way to use any cheap degausser is to turn it on AWAY from the item to be degaussed. Then bring the degaussing coil or device up to the item and wave it around in smooth stokes and the slide it away smoothly. Once it is away from the item, then you can turn it off.
The item can be move up to the stationary degausser tool in the same manner if that is easier.
The specially made devices for degaussing Lps must have some method to prevent the problem, or the thing has to be turned on before the Lp is placed on it and after the Lp is removed...
Elizabeth, Thanks, but I was not asking for instructions. I was merely pointing out to the OP that he or she needs to know how to use an off the shelf degausser, properly. The product I was trying to think of is the Furutech, where it looks like a waffle-maker, and you simply insert the LP, close the jaws around it, and press a button. That device gradually increases and decreases the field intensity so as to mimic the act of moving a handheld degausser to and from the LP surface, for $2,700!!!
I'm not sure what it is demagnetizing either. Some of the static charge will cause a magnetic field, and maybe some of that is reduced.
Getting back to what would be my concern is the damage one of those TV units can do. Make sure you use it several feet, maybe at least six foot, or more to be safer, to reduce the risk of causing any damage to your electronic gear, plus something else in the area. Especially your turntable. Some watches may still be at risk too.
I had a large one in the 60's, and it was potent. I imagine the smaller ones still have a potent field around them also. Some do it yourself people did cause problems to a lot of things back in those days, using one of these.
Thanks Elizabeth for the instructions. I feel better now. like many tweaks this may only be a small improvement but I feel that many small improvements will add up to a better sound at my ears.
you are welcome Blueskiesphd.
I may get or make a big ol' degausser to try it out too.
I would think one could do a bunch of LPs all at once too. A stack of five or so should be good, but that is just a guess..
If you have the money get the Furutech Demag. My wife bought me one for Xmas. Works very well. It is expensive, glad I got mine as a gift. If you have a large collection it is worth it IMO. Many artical abought the Furutech mostly positive from audio reviewers.
The black particals that go into making of records can become magnitized over time.
I like my Furtech a lot, works very well on CD's also and looks great. Looking great does not mean it works but it does help with the price. Very well built.
Have not tried it yet on cables.
See if you can get one on loan? I'm sure you will keep it once you hear the improvment.
I did some internet research. Apparently the electrostatic charge on the surface of an LP can act like an electromagnet with respect to the stationary cartridge, when the LP is in rotation. I guess I can buy that idea. However, if you do a good job with a zerostat to remove charge from the LP surface, then there should be no problem, in theory. So why would one need also to degauss? Still keeping an open mind.
So Joe, do you also use a zerostat prior to playing an LP? Have you compared the beneficial results of the Furutech with vs without first using the zerostat. Then, do it the other way around. Use the zerostat then either do or don't use the Furutech. It would be of interest to learn whether the Furutech is beneficial after using the zerostat.
Another reference/confirmation, regarding carbon black: (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue47/classic_records.htm)
I still think a $20 device that can demagnetize vs a $2500 device that can demagnetize....hmmmmmmmm???? Think I will stick with the lower cost option.
Am I the only one using the TV degausser? Don't tell me I am a trail blazer here. I am so radical I use a steam cleaner for my records...oh no !!!
Rodman, Thanks for the URL. Yet another, totally different, explanation for why one should demagnetize LPs.
To completely remove the static on a record just use a conductive carbon fiber brush (in which the fibers are connected through the metal handle to your hand (body)). This drains static charge, and removes dust particles effectively in two rotations. There are several makes. I use an old DECCA brush.
I do not believe there is "magnetic" vinyl or carbon black in records that could possibly cause an audible change. These "improvements" and "explanations" are "power of suggestion" and "imagination" to sell BS products!
These "differences" in sound playing the same side over again are probably due to subtle amplifier warmup or cool down effects, and vinyl material, deforming and relaxing, in sensitive high resolution speakers IMO!
If you listen to the same record over again it always sounds better the second time!
Don, I instinctively agree with you. But the fact is that the vinyl either does or does not contain ferrous particles that are or are not magnetizable. These are questions that can be resolved, up or down. I am curious to learn whether there is any merit at all in that claim.
As to the "electromagnetic" property of a rotating LP carrying electrostatic charge, if that does happen it ought to be correctible by any good anti-static method, as you suggest. You don't need a $2700 Furutech if that's the major issue.
Demagnetizing anything that does not contain iron is pure hocus pocus. A demagnetizer will not affect (I mean REMOVE) static charges either, although it might move them around.
Same with demagnetizing CDs. They only contain Al (or maybe gold) films that are uneffected by magnetic fields.
Reminds me of that AS review back in the 80's claiming photons have an impact on speaker wire...
Dhl, I think there is unanimity on your major point, if the underlying assumption is valid, but the question is ARE there in fact ferrous materials present in the pot from which LPs are generated? One person on this thread claimed that there are.
You mean iron contaminents in the vinyl? Even if there were, one would have to draw a connection between the amount of contamination and the properties of the vinyl. Seems a very big stretch to me.
As I said, I am and always have been a skeptic when it comes to this issue. But then we have the many who say they do hear a difference before vs after using a degausser. Their collective testimony does not convince me, because of the element of subconscious bias, but it does more or less cause me to try to keep an open mind.
I have always tried to keep an open mind assuming there is a reasonable scientific or engineering reason to support a particular tweak. But I don't think I will be degausing my records anytime soon.