Tracking force and Unipivot tonearms

I have a Benz Glider and the "recommended" tracking force is 1.8 to 2.2 grams. I am tracking at about 2.4 or 2.5 just to keep it in the grooves during hot peaks on some records. A audiophile friend told me it is not uncommon especially with unipivots to set tracking force at 10 percent or higher than the recommended tracking force. The cart sounds much more full, less sibilant and a more solid sound at the sacrifice of a less air at this heavier tracking force.

Has anyone else found it absolutely necessary to set tracking forces much higher than the recommended force? My friend said it will not damage the cartridge or records at 2.4 or 2.5 grams. He said I should not get hung up on recommended tracking force as all tonearms are different and that it is just the "recommneded" tracking force
tzh21y
Stringreen, I think we both own the VPI classic with the 10.5i wand. I upgraded my want to the Classic 3 wand.

Sorry to be argumentative, but Audiofiel is correct. When playing vinyl, I can only listen for 5 or 6 hours straight while working on my computer. I'm sure if we had a better arm, I might be able to listen 24/7. Thanks Audiofiel for the helpful comments!
I am not saying it is the best arm, but I have finally got the JMW 9 sounding very good with a Benz Glider. I will invest in a Fozgometer. I am sure that azimuth had a lot to do with it, not everything though. I still think it is a very touchy arm and I will not touch it no matter how tempted I get until I need a new cartridge or upgrade. I am still not getting the distortions I am used to. I am very happy right now. It is possible to get great sound with a Scout and with a JMW 9. It only took me 3 years. lol. Gosh, I hope all arms are not this difficult to set up. I have it set parallel to the record for medium weight vinyl. So for the 180 to 200 gram, it is a little higher at the cartridge end of the arm. I hope this continues.
Hey guys, my last post was fascitious (sp?). Yes, it's true that the JMW wand is a challenge to set up properly. And oftentimes, carty compatibility may be an issue, as per my older threads. But right now, I am running my Classic with a VPI Zephyr carty and the system sings.

Bill (Audiofeil), I sincerely appreciate that you have a lot of experience with a lot of differemnt tables and arms. But maybe I'm just lucky because my Zephyr is set up perfectly using the VPI jig (Baerwald gemetry) and an old protractor alignment kit that has a tiny bubble level tube. The bubble level tube enables me to set azimuth and VTA perfectly!

So yes, the JMW wand is a bit of a PITA, but once set up correctly with the right carty -- it sings. IMHO.
If you have the standard 9" tonearm, I would suggest getting Soundsmith's Counter “Intuitive” as this will decouple the azimuth and VTF adjustments.

The 9" signature tonearm has a set screw in the end of the armwand to allow you to fine tune the VTF without affecting azimuth. For this reason, I moved to the signature tonearm shortly after purchasing the standard tonearm. I will never again purchase another tonearm not having discrete adjustments.