Graham Phantom with Benz Lp-s Tracking problems

Hello to all,

i recently mounted my new Lp-s cartrige on the Phantom B-44. The sound is great, but i have problems with some Lps, 4-5. On all it is on the beginning of the record. I can see a little but quick jumping from the cartridge, it isn´t much but the stylus looses contact with the groove and i hear something like a rumble. I don´t know if it´s the right word. And when i put up the volume it distorts. Benz told me that the best way for working the Lp-s is that the counterweight should be very close to the center of the tonearm and it isn´t, it is 1cm or more away from the top.
I wrote Bob Graham to tell me his thoughts, will see what he tells me. Maybe i have to change the ring of the counterweight to a heavier one!?
Has someone experience with this problem?

Many thanks and happy new year !!!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes from spain,

Agustin
agucela
Sorry AudioQuest4Life's for no answering, i think anti-skating is ok, i pass all 4 tracks from the HFN without any problem. At rest, the bias weight is a bit diagonal, maybe 35º. I tried all damping fluid levels but the problem is the same. It only changes the sound.
The Lps are flat. The Garrard 301 platter is concave. there is 1mm difference from the middle to outside.
But i also set Azimuth with the Adjust+ and it seems to be perfect, and it sounds perfect.
With the slow warps i have no problem.
The problem are the fast warps.
The cartridges compliance is 15, so it is a medium hard suspension and the graham is a medium mass tonearm, so they should work perfectly together.
But, before i bought the Lps, i spoke with a Benz Ingenieur, he didn`t know well the Graham Phantom but the most important thing he told me was that the counterweight must be very close to pivot for having a better stability.
Before the Lps, ihad the Clearaudio Concerto and it has also compliance 15, but, the counterweight was very near the pivot as the cartridge was much lighter than the benz and i had no problem.

I will order a heavier outer ring if it´s available and we will see.
Add some blu tak to the Phantom on top of the headshell. Basically increase the mass of the cartridge. This will move the. Counterweight distance from the pivot but you can add mass to the counterweight as well to bring it closer. This will reduce the vertical resonance which should be your problem. 18hz is way too high.
When I bought my Aries 3 w/Benz LP-S cartridge my dealer called VPI and told them I was getting a heavy cartridge - 16 gms. Harry Weisfeld put a different counterweight on the arm than the stock factory weight. I can't say that's your problem, but I would ask Mr. Graham if that is a possibility. That being said, you should make sure your tracking force is at or 0.1gms above max recommended. Good luck.
I've got a phantom 2 with lp-s and it tracks beautifully. I hope you resolve your issues and get to the point where you can realize and enjoy the incredible potential of the combination.
Carl, as a Phantom II user myself, I'm interested. What's different about your combination? Is it unmodified or did you get the heavier counterweight?