Do You Love Music or Do You Love Hi-Fi?

I know a lot of hi-fi enthusiasts who seem to have poor taste in music but can talk all day about their audio gear. I got into the high end audio hobby because of my love for music first and foremost, and this has done a pretty good job in guiding my decisions around what equipment to buy. Don't get me wrong, I Jones really hard on gear, but at the end of the day it's not about the gear but how great the music I love sounds on the gear I buy. I study music and learn all I can to discover new music to enjoy, regardless of the genre, but I am certain that I will not be investing in the latest Jennifer Warnes vinyl re-issues. I also wonder why Mo-Fi issued the first three Foreigner albums on vinyl. Are there really that many hard core audiophiles asking for this? There are so many great recordings that are begging for the high end vinyl treatment, it makes me wonder who these people are making decisions about what to release on these labels? I'm sure the entire Don Henley catalog is coming soon from one of these labels.
OK, I'm done ranting, but I really do want to hear what others think about this. Or is it just me? Is it about the gear or is it about the music for you?
128x128snackeyp
"I sit here now with money buring a hole in my pocket and I can't think of a thing that would improve my sound, save a new room. So I buy good music instead."

I agree with you most of what you say but would only add "what would improve my sound MOST". Why do so many feel that more expensive components will somehow compensate for a room that will not support or justify the added expenditure beyond a given point? So much for being an audiophile, different strokes I suppose. I would be curious to know how many audiophiles realize this to the point that they would make that expenditure of a new room, if feasible, over purchase of "better" components, diminishing returns. At what point in the journey does this become a factual realization?

Of course the above is a bit off topic but the subject of loving music or hi-fi encompasses so many different elements for the varied listeners on this forum and the rest of the audiophile community that one can only say, "You know who you are", what difference does it make, really? Live, love, learn and yearn, it's what we do.
Tubegroover:

Stated in your usual succinct manner. I think I will do that room this coming year. The wife is all for it.
Merry Christmas
$10000 would not get you a reference system, not even close. $100000 would, maybe. I agree with the rest of your statement though.
Or a person could follow the lead of the Oracles and just declare their system a 'Reference' system.

BTW, for those of you who think you have heard Vivaldi's 'The Four Seasons', give this a listen:

Vivaldi
The Four Seasons
Fabio Biondi - violin
Europa Galante
Tubegroover,

I agree some people overlook the rooms contribution but it is not feasable to move to a better room or improve the room in some cases. It is possible to improve a sub optimal rooms sound by changing your gear to suit the room. That does not necessarily mean they need more expensive gear just more appropriate gear for their room.

Unfortunately it is hard to tell what gear is right without some trial and error. But it is possible to get great sound in a lesser room if you choose well. Will it be as good as a good system in a good room? No, but some people do not have that option.

Sean