VPI Setup - What Happened?

I moved.

Now that I'm settled in (ya right) I wanted to spin some vinyl. It's my birthday so I was treated to 6 new albums. I'm excited to hear them. But they won't play.

I cannot find my stylus gauge. My "little one" I'm betting "modified my settings which probably weren't all that good anyway. Point is, The tonearm just runs to the middle of teh album and all I get is distortion with a small amount of music buried within the distortion.

VPI Scoutmaster with a Dynavector MXV Mark II cart and JMW9 tonearm (or something like that).

I've checked the level and, as best I can without the aid of tools, alighned all the parameters which should have been good from the start. What bothers me is the amount of distortion I'm getting. Could something else be broken or does this sound like a completely hosed setup issue?

Tracking force? No real clue. Probably on the light side as I'm starting with 0 force and dialing the weight towards the cart.

Why does it constantly want to run toeards the finish line. I have the tonearm wire twisted in the proper direction so what gives?

Until I find my feeble stylus guage, I'd just like to know that there's still health with my table.

Oh ya, PS Audio phono stage. Drives through an Allnic L3000 pre which gives blessings to a Pass X350.5.
128x128desalvo55
Another possibility -- you lost all or part of the diamond from the end of the cantilever. The symptoms you describe suggest it.
I agree with Rdavwhitaker, check your stylus. The 'little one' might have shortened the life of your stylus when 'modifying' your settings. I did that all on my own once by dropping it on a record, and the consequences are as you describe.
Wow, you folks nailed it. The diamond is missing. No point in looking for it...

Elisabeth, I think the whole house is tilted after crawling around under the house! But the magnetic field must also be altered as a used a good old fashioned level.

Guess it's time for a rebuild, but in the meantime, I have no operational turntable. I always wanted a backup cart.
Any suggestions? Is it simple just to replace the stylus?
I don't know if the stylus is replaceable on that Dynavector -- I'd suggest calling the good folks at Needledoctor, who are terribly helpful, and can tell you if either (1) a stylus replacement is possible or (2) Dynavector offers a "trade in" program (several of the high-end cartridge makers do).

If you like the Dynavector sound, consider a Dynavector Karat 17D3, which is a marvelous cartridge. If you'd like something different, I'd once again suggest talking to Needledoctor - give them your price point and tell them it's for a VPI Table/arm, and I'm sure they'll have suggestions.

Among my favorites I also count the Clearaudio Talismann. If you are looking at a lower price point, consider the Ortofon Black.

No doubt others can offer additional excellent suggestions -- your price point will be a key driver.
Instead of a backup cartridge - do you have enough mono records to justify the purchase of a mono cartridge? You can mount this on a second arm tube and put it to great use when you want to hear the best from mono records. I love my Helikon mono.

If you're going to get a second cartridge, you might as well get one that brings something else to your table.

Moot point obviously if you don't have many mono records. Just thought I'd toss this out on the chance that you do.