Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
I agree with Banpuku about hearing the effects of record centre eccenticities.
On mt Victor TT 101 DD turntable.....which demonstrates admirable speed accuracy via the Timeline.....I am more aware of this phenomenon on certain records than I am when using the Raven AC-2 belt-drive.
I guess in the best of all possible worlds, your turntable's speed irregularity would combine with your LPs off-center spindle hole to give you perfect pitch.

Thanks, Peter, for your further description.

Banpuku, Have you looked at the TT Weights rim drive or the Trans-fi Salvation rim drive? Each has its strong advocates. Both seem to ascribe to the heavy platter/rim drive paradigm. I have not heard either, but I note that both seem to use a rather small diameter wheel to drive the huge platter(s). On the other hand, the VPI and Teres rim drive(s) use a rather larger diameter drive wheel. Where do you come down on this design choice? No doubt you've given that a lot of thought. Just off the top of my head, I would have thought that the larger the circumference of the drive wheel, the better, right up to where the diameter of the drive wheel would equal that of the platter.
Lewm ~ I have the TTWeights rim drive and the Timeline shows it does not have speed stability, this on 2 different TTWeights rim drive models. Does it sound OK? Yes but when I now listen to a DD table I can clearly hear the difference.
(dealer disclaimer)
Dear Skos, You are preaching to the converted. I am a confirmed DD junkie. I still do like my highly modified Lenco, however. I was unable to test it with the Timeline, because the spindle hole in the Timeline is too small to admit the spindle of a Lenco (or of my Kenwood L07D). This to me is a major oversight in the design of the Timeline, as I think it would have been easy to supply alternative spindle hole pieces for it, especially at the price. (I could imagine a removable rim-threaded bottom puck; three such pucks could accommodate all typical spindle diameters, with a snug fit.)

I think I remember your earlier posts on the TT Weights. It appears that their drive wheel and the rim of the platter have been re-engineered in their latest models or their revised older models. Perhaps those issues were resolved.
Lewn ~ a customer of mine has the TTWeights upgraded player with the new extended rim and still the Timeline showed it was unstable. Can he hear it? No but it didn't make him fell all warm and fuzzy.