Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Lewm: "Lets keep in mind that what you quote from the Brinkmann website is a commercial"

Yeah, I know. It's full of their own propaganda but I was too lazy to edit the pertinent parts so I just posted the entire section on drive system.... didn't mean to impose their bias on anyone. But it's still a good read for me and for the most part I agree with them about having a gentler servo system instead of a iron-fisted one and it resembles my own experience, granted there's always exception out there. I think this is a great thread as it allows people to focus on one of the most important and underrated aspect of a turntable: speed accuracy. It's been fun.

P.S. Yeah, where is Travis or T_bone? I miss him.

______
I sent him a private email about 10 days ago but have had no response. He recently moved from Tokyo to Hong Kong, but he was communicating with me even during the packing and moving phase. He should be stabilized by now in HK.

It may be overly simplistic to think of a particular servo mechanism as "tight-fisted" vs "gentle". From speaking to Bill Thalmann, I gather that these circuits are quite complex, and the real differences in how the different ones operate may be accordingly complex as well. One is nevertheless free to choose a favorite based on listening.
Albert, Will talk to Bill this week on that subject, I hope.

I guess there is not much juice left in this topic. Here's a tidbit. I noticed someone on Vinyl Asylum out up a URL for a new line of turntables, made by a company called "George Warren". It's really one belt-drive model that comes in several finishes. They use a Maxon motor, which is a high quality DC motor. Platter speed is monitored much like what Denon and Sony did 30 years ago, by a sensor at the platter. Then corrective information is fed back to the motor via the controller. No mention of quartz referencing, but the concept fits in with what we have been talking about, DD technology used to stabilize speed of a BD turntable. Like someone else pointed out, using a DC motor, which needs it.