Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Sorry, I meant to address my remark in my last post to "Dev", not "Dover".
It seems to me if the tt slows down momentarily, the laser spot would shrink, not lengthen.

Albert, I take all your points in support of the NVS, but the bottom line is what do you think of it in action? Does it blow away your SP10 Mk3?

The laser line lengthens and shortens and the line progresses clockwise (indicating + speed error) in the test I did. We have checked multiple turntables.

The MK3 did not show any error in any test.
I should add to my last post.

No, the NVS does not blow away the MK3. I'm trying to remain neutral, there are already hot comments flying around on this topic and I don't understand why.

If a particular table is doing well for you, why take the effort to crush another brand? Something that another person may be enjoying and thinks is wonderful?

I'll state this, the MK3 is still my overall favorite turntable of all time, regardless.

Now that I've said that, remember the MK3 have not been manufactured in more than a quarter of a century and at least one part in it has no current replacement available.

If that parts fails and you cannot find used, the table is dead.

So in spite of my fondness of the MK3, it is expensive, difficult to obtain and requires a COMPLETE rebuild and (in my opinion) one of our specialty plinths to get the performance I'm speaking of.

Just putting things into perspective on both sides.
Dear Albert,
I guess I misunderstood your riddle. I thought you wanted to have an explanation for a theoretical condition where the laser beam appears to lengthen whilst remaining fixed in its location on the wall. My explanation would fit that condition, I think.

I had the same result as you report with Timeline vs Mk3. (As you know, my Mk3 was purchased NOS and then completely serviced by Bill Thalmann.) Could not make it show any error whatsoever. I realized after I wrote the post that I may have put you on the spot in asking so directly for your opinion about Mk3 vs NVS, because of your potential commercial interests. I apologize for that. In any case, you were kind enough to respond.
Lewm,

I guess I misunderstood your riddle. I thought you wanted to have an explanation for a theoretical condition where the laser beam appears to lengthen whilst remaining fixed in its location on the wall. My explanation would fit that condition, I think.

I wanted to read reports from others that experimented with Timeline to determine if my test was unusual. Appears you got similar results with at least some of the turntables you tested and I appreciate your input.

Your conclusion about belt slippage seems accurate and in any case, indicates potential speed error (regardless of design).

I had the same result as you report with Timeline vs Mk3. (As you know, my Mk3 was purchased NOS and then completely serviced by Bill Thalmann.) Could not make it show any error whatsoever.

I too got zero errors on every test with MK3 and of course, I use Bill Thalmann for my rebuild. Anyone that asks about rebuild job on a MK2 or MK3, I always send them to Bill.

I realized after I wrote the post that I may have put you on the spot in asking so directly for your opinion about Mk3 vs NVS, because of your potential commercial interests. I apologize for that. In any case, you were kind enough to respond.

You did not put me on the spot any more than other posts at Audiogon. I also receive plenty of email requests for an opinion on these but I wonder (other than you and I) how many people actually own a fully and properly serviced MK3?

Don't forget that Mike Lavigne is in love with his NVS and there are very few systems at Audiogon that are equal to his in effort, detail and quality.

Mike had a Rockport, a table that could be called best of the best, although I never had one to compare. Mike has no commercial interest in NVS, he does not sell them or represent them. Sure, he's friends with Jonathan Tinn, but many people consider Jonathan a friend, including myself.

There are going to be differences in opinion on some things. I'm trying to be honest but with a firm grip on reality. Most people want new, reliable product with warranty and support. The NVS fits that description and I imagine will have many satisfied customers.

Others will persue Micro Seiki, Pioneer Exclusive, Technics or other golden audio era products. The argeument over this will never end.