Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
If the laser light stays in exactly the same place on the wall as the platter rotates but the "line" created by the laser beam gets longer, then it is at least possible that the tt is momentarily gaining speed above 33 rpm (assuming the flash of the laser is of constant duration, which is a fair assumption). But the fact that the light does not move left or right indicates that "average" speed is maintained. This is one explanation that comes to my mind; I have no idea what you are thinking, Albert and Henry. I would be interested to know.

It seems to me if the tt slows down momentarily, the laser spot would shrink, not lengthen.

Albert, I take all your points in support of the NVS, but the bottom line is what do you think of it in action? Does it blow away your SP10 Mk3?
Who ever suggested the NVS was better than any other tt was just full of hype, just more marketing blah! blah!

What I can't figure out is how does a table that list for $25k just a short while ago then jump up to $40 and now $45 or what ever.

That new wooden shipping crate must have added some serious sonics, possibly no more bent platter bearing :-)

Who in thier right mind designs and manufactures a table costing this much and then ships it with the platter attached, makes no sence.

I may have missed but has there been any mention of any owners using the TimeLine on it and the results.

Albert P, we know you have one so what are the results.
Dear Halcro: No doubt Timeline is a great tool for now. I think that the main subject around it is not only that we learn more about our each one TTs and its right set up but that today TT designers use the Timeline ( or similar tool. ) as a important part on its design and development of a TT.

That we can know that this or that TT has a " failure " about can't help enough, what can help to each one of us as customers is that today and future TT designs could come with the Timeline " certification ".

At the end that " certification " is or should be IMHO a TT's designer target not ours.

Btw, Halcro the stock MS TTs are not good enough about speed and speed stability, its motor controler are deficient about . Years ago in my unit and other units we have to make changes in there to improve this TT main desirable characteristic. IMHO and with today standards MS units are only an average ones.

Anyway, Timeline is here to stay: good.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
If it were not for the fact that my neighbor, for whom I have done a lot of audio favors, owns a Timeline, I never would have been able to test my turntables with it. No way I would pay $400 to buy one. I was quite satisfied with the KAB strobe. That's just an honest statement of my position, right or wrong. It was mostly a morbid curiosity that drew me to it, like a moth to a flame. Now I'm done with it, since I am unlikely to purchase another turntable in my lifetime. (Well, maybe one more that I have in the back of my mind.) It won't sit down on the Lenco spindle, which is one of the large diameter types. Any ideas how to use it on a Lenco? Interestingly, the owner of the Timeline is in no rush to have it back, so it's just sitting here.

I guess I could have rationalized buying one on the premise that it would pretty much hold its value when I would have been ready to dump it.
Dear Dover, I think it was posts like your last one that got the NVS thread deleted. You have a perfect right to express your opinion, but I think we need to temper our remarks about specific products and manufacturers lest someone pull the plug on this thread, too. I hate that this is the case, and, believe me, I am on the side of free speech.