Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
What harm do you think there is if the two threads touch?

Increased friction and additional vibration/noise, especially when the knot of one rubs past the other thread.
Hi Dev - just curious regarding the sp10 mkII that you tested. You said

"I tried it on a "DD" SP10 MK2 and it was off"

What was the strobe doing while you tested it? I have a seen a strobe on a SP10MkII one time "waver" back and forth - it could also be heard in the music. It needed adjustment. How steady was the strobe light in this case.

Cheers
Dear Mab, L07D is not in service at this time. I am re-wiring the tonearm.
Hi Ct0517,

I really did not pay attention, the owner said it showed dead on and that's what I was going by and when the TimeLine was placed on showed ii was off. The spindle of his table is approx 20 from the wall.

Hi Lewm,

thanks for that info. in relation to the Lenco, don't you think it's strange that a well known source who is selling these replied by saying they are close and not as you did saying it can be set to be spot on? Personally I thought this to be odd, I was inquiring about purchasing from them to have another table and one of my questions. I asked are you familiar with the Sutherland TimeLine and if I were to use mine on your table would it show to be spot on for accuracy playing a record at both speaads?
Dear Dev, Your question was: "don't you think it's strange that a well known source who is selling these replied by saying they are close and not as you did saying it can be set to be spot on?" To that, my answer has to be "yes, I think it is strange". Perhaps the responder did not wish to guarantee that his Lenco would be "spot on" in the presence of stylus drag, but there is no doubt that the speed can be adjusted finely via setting the idler wheel position in relation to the length of the tapered drive shaft. If you take a look at photos of the drive system probably available on Lenco Heaven, you will see in a moment what I am talking about. It might be a pain in the arse but it can be done. Moreover, a generic motor controller like the Walker or the SDS could be used to make up for any slight error above or below exact speed. So, I am with you on that.