Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Good point Ketchup. The belt is more likely to slip on the capsan than the platter. Of course if it uses a sub platter that problem is reduced.
I tried it on a "DD" SP10 MK2 and it was off, no way to correct like the MK3 offers speed adjustments so the owner has to send it in.

Not what I wanted to read. I hate this thread.

Seriously: did the built-in strobe of that particular sp10 show that it was holding speed? And the timeline showed differently?
Dev: "I tried it on a "DD" SP10 MK2 and it was off, no way to correct like the MK3 offers speed adjustments so the owner has to send it in."
I believe there are trim-pots inside the chassis that can vary the speed minimally but I just don't know which ones. Maybe the trim-pots are for other functions. I don't have my SP-10mk2 or the manual anymore to verify that. Perhaps other more knowledgeable owners can comment on this. Good luck.

______
Banquo363,

yes unfortuantly. I was told he is sending it to someone to correct which isn't suppose to be too hard. I read from someone else whom posted prior on the old NVS posting in relation to "DD" issues.

Look at this being a positive learning experience and not negtive, no need to be upset.

If your table is off then you can address such, if it is off slightly I would be shocked if you can hear such anyways.

End of the day it's all about listening to music.
I agree with Atmasphere. Turntables with excellent soundstaging (and resolution of fine detail, dynamics and bass detail)are signtaures of TT's with excellent speed control.

In my experience, belt drive TT's with AC moters with ample torque and low friction fair better than DC motor driven TT's all else being equal. I think one way to improve a DC motor driven TT is to increase the mass of the platter with good torque. I suspect that is one reason the Micro Seiki's do well and why the addition of acrylic platters on top of the gunmetal sound better.

Andrew