Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Dertonearm
If speed accuracy has nothing to do with sound performance but is a seriuos basic request with a design then where would you as a designer place it in order of importance if all else is managed in a design of a turntable?

In other words if the motor/s, speed controller, belt/s are not up to the job holding the speed when a record is being played would this not drastically effect what you hear?
In_shore, sure - speed accuracy does heavily influence sound quality.
However IMHO speed accuracy is a basic - if not THE basic - request to ANY turntable.
As said before - this is a conditio sine qua non for any turntable.
As this is a basic feature, it is not contributing to the sound quality, but only in negative sense - i.e. if not accurate speed.
So - here it starts, it is not a goal but the mere basic request which has to be meet by nature anyway.
I as a designer simply make sure this demand is meet to the utmost possible as the very first step.
And I for one think this is easy given today's technical tools and options.
Accurate speed can be obtained with idler wheel, direct drive or thread drive.
It can be achieved with belt drive too, but only with much more effort in control.
Dear Nandric,

it is an ongoing quest. I am happy that some new designs appear on the horizon and that Micro Seiki seems to be back.
Maybe we will not see only clouds in the future...

Best @ fun only
Dear Thuchan, if you are referring to the TechDas as "Micro Seiki back", I wouldn't go that far.
IMHO that design does not resemble Micro Seiki engineering.
We will see what is actually delivered, but what is apparent in the pictures and short descriptions so far doesn't break any new grounds.