Turntable speed accuracy

There is another thread (about the NVS table) which has a subordinate discussion about turntable speed accuracy and different methods of checking. Some suggest using the Timeline laser, others use a strobe disk.

I assume everyone agrees that speed accuracy is of utmost importance. What is the best way to verify results? What is the most speed-accurate drive method? And is speed accuracy really the most important consideration for proper turntable design or are there some compromises with certain drive types that make others still viable?
peterayer
Dear Thuchan, For at least someone who looks even better
than 'us' (the Connery twins) a real suprise to show off with his behind.

Regards,
I suggested him to try driving the Teres platter with a Technics SL-M3 direct-drive turntable via VHS tape.
Sounds like an interesting idea, he gets the speed lock of the DD plus the high mass and resonance sinking of the Teres platter, plinth and bearing.

He might get better results with the drive tape we developed. Compared with VHS tape it's less slippery, less elastic and much more resistant to stretching or misforming in any direction. Far better performeer than VHS tape on our TT. Check out this thread.
1) speed accuracy to the point where its musically relevant has been pretty much solved in any TT costing over $300
2) the average stylus pressure is 1.5 gm. The drag of this on a rotating platter assembly of 2000 gms is negligible; the mass equivalent of a tricycle towed behind a truck
3) vibration isolation/damping is what counts...horizontal vibration in the plane of the stylus vibration will suck transients, detail and bass out of your playback

Direct drives are very difficult to isolate vs belt drives
Davide 256, 'the average stylus pressure is 1.5 gm.,etc.' I was always wondering about this 'drag issue' more in particular because of the 'vulnerable' stylus cantilever combo. But as a non-technical guy I was not brave enough to say something although I asked the question how this 'vulnerable thing' can cause such problems? Well I was dismissed but not convinced. I still have this 'picture' of an elephant (the platter) and the mouse (the stylus) in my mind. BTW 'my elephant' is 8 kgr.

Regards,