Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Just completed a complete refurbishing / rebuilding of a Micro Seiki DDX1500 for a customer. These old machines are truly excellent. Did a speed check with the time line, over an entire album side the dot did not move from 23 feet across the room !

A nice little upgrade I did to was having the inside of the platter sprayed with Polyureah (Truck Bedliner), this silenced the bell like character of the platter nicely.

PBN / Micro Seiki DDX1500

Good Listening

Peter
As Halcro and I know, there is NOTHING in turntable land quite as complex as a Victor TT101. I haven't seen a P3, but the Denon DP80, Kenwood L07D, Technics SP10 Mk2 and Mk3 are as simple as a belt-drive, by comparison to the TT101.
As Halcro and I know, there is NOTHING in turntable land quite as complex as a Victor TT101.
Amen....πŸ˜±β‰οΈ....unfortunately...😬

By the way Lew....are you actually listening to a 'working' TT-101? 🎼🎡🎢
Nice use of emoticons, Halcro. One emoticon is worth a thousand tears.
My TT101 is working, if I leave it powered up at all times, and if I don't move it, and if I run it at least once a week. With those stipulations, it's "reliable". I have heard it play music, but my new problem is that there appears to be a short within the UA7045 tonearm wiring, such that I have no right channel. I need to change the tonearm on the QL10 plinth. Interestingly, the Fidelity Research FR64S has a requisite spindle to pivot distance that is compatible with that of the UA7045, so I should be able to pop in my FR64S in place of the UA7045.
I will do that one of these days, when there is no other "project" in the way. Also, I am enjoying the Beveridge 2SW speaker system so much that I tend to want to listen to music when I do get free time.

Interestingly, if the TT101 gets balky, usually after I have not used it in a long time, the cure is to whack the (front) side of the plinth nearest to the control panel of the TT101, with the palm of my hand. Very unscientific but works a treat. I am very convinced that there is a bad switch or a loose connection between switches that is to blame for the finickiness of the table.

For those who have a JVC TT-101 should check out this YouTube video.

DIY thread drive turntable

Looks like someone turned the TT-101 into a belt drive motor! Using string or thread that has no compliance, it retains the accuracy of the direct drive system with the isolation of belt drive.

Halcro, you should use the TT-101 to drive your TW Raven. :-)

I have used a Technics DD table that has pitch control driving a passive platter before and it worked!