New to Turntable - what're involved in playing LP?

Hi, I'm building a 2-channel hifi system around my Harbeth P7ES3 and are interested in getting into the turntables. BTW, I had no prior experience with a turntable.

What steps are involved in playing back LPs? Is it a complex process?

Can someone explain to me what compoents/tools I need to get in order to setup the turntables/tonearm/cartridge properly for an excellent quality playback of LPs?

Or am I jumping too far ahead because I may need to upgrade my digital source (CD or SACD player) first and find the amps for my Harbeth?

Please share your thoughts and experience.
r0817

Do you really think analog has less dynamics? Peterayer
Maybe I should have said dynamic range. I think vinyl has the edge myself over CDs. I don't know about future digital audio yet. But, a lot of people going from CD to vinyl, usually complain about it being flat, lacking bass, plus other things. I grew up with records and know what to expect. I don't have any problem with it, except the convenience difference. I have LPs that have plenty of bass and dynamics for me. I just think it will be hard to set up all of this new equipment (new digital, analog, and amps) at once. I think it would be a lot easier to have one format ready and running first. And, be familiar with it. Then add a second type of playing system.
Find a great local used record shop. I've had a blast starting from zero LPs just under a year ago to quite a decent little collection. :)

I went from a Pro-ject Xpression I with Pro-ject Speedbox I and Pro-ject Phono Box I (not a bad little deck) to a Pro-ject Xpression III with an Ortofon MC-3 turbo cartridge, the same Speedbox and a Pro-ject Tube Phono Box II and am loving it.

Scott
Hifihvn- "But, a lot of people going from CD to vinyl, usually complain about it being flat, lacking bass, plus other things. I grew up with records and know what to expect. "

This is an interesting statement as I have experienced the exact opposite. Now I did have prior experience with LP's about 30 years before I took the dive back in to vinyl this year.

I know many would try to get the digital first and get the "best" they can afford because this is where their software investment is but I do at times wish I would have spent a little less on my current digital and therefore have more to invest in my turntable.

I really enjoy the sound of vinyl and the overall experience. Maybe I just have a little buyers remorse and would feel differently if I had went with a lesser digital source.
Now I did have prior experience with LP's about 30 years before I took the dive back in to vinyl this year.

I know many would try to get the digital first and get the "best" they can afford because this is where their software investment is but I do at times wish I would have spent a little less on my current digital and therefore have more to invest in my turntable.

Bjbcab (Threads | Answers | This Thread)
This makes a big difference in my opinion. The OP has no experience. I never dropped vinyl myself. I run both, digital, and vinyl.

The past threads people have posted in, is what I'm going by. We all have our own opinion.

I hate to tell someone to drop the big majority of their money on something they have no experience with. But again, that's just me. At least we know the OP does like digital, or they would have never bought Harbeth speakers. That says a lot. Can you be sure the OP will be happier with vinyl? The OP can read everyone's experience and opinions, and go from there.