New to Turntable - what're involved in playing LP?

Hi, I'm building a 2-channel hifi system around my Harbeth P7ES3 and are interested in getting into the turntables. BTW, I had no prior experience with a turntable.

What steps are involved in playing back LPs? Is it a complex process?

Can someone explain to me what compoents/tools I need to get in order to setup the turntables/tonearm/cartridge properly for an excellent quality playback of LPs?

Or am I jumping too far ahead because I may need to upgrade my digital source (CD or SACD player) first and find the amps for my Harbeth?

Please share your thoughts and experience.
r0817
Remember, there were a FEW HUNDRED MILLION record players around before the advent of CD. They were not all owned and operated by rocket engineers. To be brief, it goes like this: disengage arm from rest, lift , and place on record. Reverse this process at end of side. This covers the essentials. As to the subtleties; that is a little harder. You will need a decent alignment device; a paper protractor will do and can be downloaded free from several sites. VPIs, which I sell, come with a good alignment gauge which is easy to use. Set up can be time consuming at first but as you learn how to do it becomes much easier. These days LPs take more commitment than CDs as they are more expensive and have many fewer choices available. I would set up my system for CD first and then decide whether to add LP. I myself still find LP to be the superior medium but CD can be very good also.
I should have mentioned that there is a good DVD explaining set up in detail by Michael Fremer; I would get that and watch it before making a decision.