Why are modern arms so ugly?

OK.......you're going to say it's subjective and you really looove the look of modern tonearms?
But the great tonearms of the Golden Age are genuinely beautiful in the way that most Ferraris are generally agreed to be beautiful.
Look at the Fidelity Research FR-64s and FR-66s? Look at the SAEC 308 series and the SAEC 407/23? Look at the Micro Seiki MA-505? Even the still audacious Dynavector DV-505/507?
But as an architect who's lifetime has revolved around aesthetics.......I am genuinely offended by the design of most modern arms. And don't give me the old chestnut....'Form follows Function' as a rational for ugliness. These current 'monsters' will never become 'Classics' no matter how many 'rave reviews' they might temporarily assemble.
128x128halcro
The Copperhead and Cobra don't float my boat at all.

Ugly is an understatement.

IMO
Copperhead and Cobra are no mainstream designs.
When I first saw pictures I had the same impression.
You need to see it in reality or better listen to it.
When you see the bearing and structure, have the tonearm in your hands you will look at it differently- I am pretty sure.
I think you would be not the first changing your attitude - and this is not an easy process. Don't mind if you stick to it.

best @ fun only
Ugly is ugly. I never did like that stream-lined look. If you put a grill on the front you could call it a 1950's Studebaker, or some fins on the ass end and call it a 59 Caddy.
I only saw it at a dealer, and at first I didn't know what it was. I think Stereophile made it more known. Actually, If there wasn't any review from any one like them, it may not be known know. One thing I noticed is the counterweight is to far back (IMO) from the pivot point. I would think that when the arm is tracking a slightly warped record, that added length extending the weight back that far is going to cause it to be slower dealing with upward and downward motion. That slower response time would make this arm ideal for a perfect record. That doesn't happen in the real world. This looks like something that would fit the laws of something in motion, wants to stay in motion. With the added length, the arm may want to stay in its upward motion longer than if the weight was closer, and more capable of keeping the tracking force closer to where it should be. That added length will also slow it down while tracking a record that has a hole slightly of center. That would cause more of an anti-skate problem too. Extra side to side, and up and down movement for the cantilever, causing a tracking problem in both cases, if not tracking that perfect record. This is just my opinion.
there are more beautiful and more elegant, higher build quality tonearms, and less beautiful and less elegant, and lower build quality tonearms, but from my perspective they are all beautiful and elegant. i'm trying to think of a tonearm which does not cause me to smile at least a little in anticipation....i cannot think of any.

ugly tonearms? no.

not to my taste? sure.

if i had a collection of iconic vintage tonearms i might feel differently.