Why are modern arms so ugly?

OK.......you're going to say it's subjective and you really looove the look of modern tonearms?
But the great tonearms of the Golden Age are genuinely beautiful in the way that most Ferraris are generally agreed to be beautiful.
Look at the Fidelity Research FR-64s and FR-66s? Look at the SAEC 308 series and the SAEC 407/23? Look at the Micro Seiki MA-505? Even the still audacious Dynavector DV-505/507?
But as an architect who's lifetime has revolved around aesthetics.......I am genuinely offended by the design of most modern arms. And don't give me the old chestnut....'Form follows Function' as a rational for ugliness. These current 'monsters' will never become 'Classics' no matter how many 'rave reviews' they might temporarily assemble.
128x128halcro
"If the bearing is is the same plane, the tracking force is constant with the presence of such events."

I'm not sure I understand why this is so. Can someone help me understand why this is so?

I believe it is true if the pivot point is not at the center of mass of the arm. But if the pivot point is at the center of mass, then how does the tracking force depend on whether the pivot point is in the plane of the record.

(Say the center of mass and the pivot point are the same and they are in the plane of the armtube, which is above the plane of the record. And then there is a warp in the record. The cartridge rides up, but why should the tracking force change, other than from the acceleration of the cartridge's upward movement?)
Dear Atmasphere, yes, it can still has an aesthetic appeal and yes, you are right - the plane of the record needs to be meet by the bearing. The criteria will be meet .... pretty soon.
I believe it has already been met
COBRA
COPPERHEAD
Not only do they move the tonearm aesthetic to a 21st century relevance.....but they are the best sounding arms I have ever heard.
That is the ugliest, piece of shit retro look I have yet seen in audio. :-) You guys are right. It is very subjective.
The Copperhead and Cobra don't float my boat at all.

Ugly is an understatement.

IMO
Copperhead and Cobra are no mainstream designs.
When I first saw pictures I had the same impression.
You need to see it in reality or better listen to it.
When you see the bearing and structure, have the tonearm in your hands you will look at it differently- I am pretty sure.
I think you would be not the first changing your attitude - and this is not an easy process. Don't mind if you stick to it.

best @ fun only