What is the best storage for cartridges?

If you ended up with some cartridges and you do exchange carts on your tonearms what is the most appropriate kind of storage for your carts not used at the time being?
thuchan
Is a humidor really the best storage vessel? I would opt for something completely airtight. The most obvious enemy of a cartridge is airborne pollutants, such as ozone. Ozone attacks the rubber components of the cartridge suspension making them brittle.
I would recommend a sealed container with desiccant packs. My concern here is that humidity leads to oxidation (rust). I would absolutely recommend avoiding anything petroleum based, as the vapors will quickly denature rubber compounds. For example-anyone ever see what happens to a turntable mat that has been trapped under the dustcover of an oil or grease lubricated turntable? In the presence of petroleum vapors, the rubber quickly becomes rigid and cracks.
I would recommend a jewelry box with desiccant packs. And don't add foam, that gives of vapors too. If you can't locate desiccant packs, make nice with your local Pharmacist, we throw millions of them away every time we open a new bottle of pills. You'll have to "dry them out" first however, which is nothing more than baking them in an oven for a short while.
Agree with Larryi. Oxidation seems like greater risk for permanent damage than "drying out".

I'm thinking a chamber filled with nitrogen might be best.
Dear all,
I learn there are two camps, one voting for humidity ( around 45 % ) and the other for keeping cartridge under an airtight condition. what effects does nitrogen have on carts?

best & fun only
I can only guess, but, nitrogen is a non-reactive gas, so it should be good for preserving cartridges. I think airtight should be good enough. The problem with exposure to the air comes from constantly introducing new reactive compounds (principally oxidants).