Does phono stage noise drive you crazy too?

After using high output moving magnet cartridges for many years, I recently purchased a .5mv output Grado Master 1. I thought that it would be a decent match with my Acoustech Ph-1p phono stage. Reviewers all claim to have used this phono stage with lower output cartridges and had no noise issues that bothered them. I'm just wondering if I'm unduly sensitive to electronic circuit noise, as I find the pairing to be obnoxiously noisy. There's no hum issue, just a "white noise" kind of circuit noise. When I have system volume set to normal highest level listening, I can hear the preamp hiss from the listening seat nine feet away from the speakers. It's not louder than lead-in groove noise, but it contributes to an electronic haze that obscures low level micro-dynamics. I've got the preamp set to 61db. of gain (53db. A weighted noise it turns out.) The Master sounds lifeless and anemic at the lower 52db. gain setting.
Is this state of affairs common? Do many of you just learn to listen through this low level noise haze? At present, it seems that I either need a cartridge with .8-1.0 mv. output to be able to use less noisy gain if I stick with the Acoustech, or I need a phono stage with a better S/N ratio. It surprised me when I started looking for A-weighted phono stage specs, not too many manufacturers seem to want to list that spec.
photon46
I thought I'd post an update. After doing a bit of further research, I thought I'd try something a little higher up the audio food chain to see if a more compatible preamp with low output Grados could be found. A couple of emails later and I had one of RCM's Sensor Prelude phonostages courtesy of Mehran at Sorasound headed my way. After living with it now for a few weeks, I can say this has been one of the best audio purchases I've ever made. It took what virtues the Acoustech PH1-p had and expanded upon them, added tonal density, and does everything with much less background noise. It's a truly excellent sounding product that balances insight and soul. Using the Grado Master at similar gain settings with the RCM and the Acoustech proved once again that while specs may be similar, numbers don't tell the entire story.
Yes, even if I can only hear it when nothing is playing.

The two types I have had to deal with in practice in recent years is EM and hiss from noisy or aging tubes.

EM inducted noise really bothers me and I have zero tolerance. I suspect it affects sound quality even at levels not easily heard in practice. Mu-metal shielding around my step up device was the solution. Hiss from noisy tubes can also bother me but not as much.
My Manley Steelhead is quiet as the grave. Love it. Not sure if you have tubes in your setup but when I first received my Manley amps one of the input tubes had been damaged during shipping and produced some noise similar to what you are describing. I swapped out the tube and POOF no more problem.

PMB