Getting Into Analog-Vinyl For The First Time......

Hello All:

I haven't posted here in quite a while, and if and when I did, it was usually me asking for and soliciting advice with respect for Home Theater.

But before getting into Home Theater, I was an audiophile first, and to this day, I still am.

Now, this gets me to this situation.

First off, I am sorry that my father has passed away and did so almost two months ago. But now, with his passing, I get to be the lucky one to inherit his vinyl collection, which I will add to the vinyl that I have already acquired and will still acquire in the future.

After calling around to analog specialty chains over the last week (namely, Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, Needle Doctor and Disc Elusive), namely to get suggestions for a Turntable/Arm System, Phono Cartridge and a Phono Stage. What I will be listening to on this Table is mainly 1960's and 1970's R&B, Jazz and some Rock and Pop.

The tables I was looking at so far are:

(01). Pro-Ject RM-5 SE (w/Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 Phono Cartridge) -- $1,000.00

(02). Rega P3-24/Rega RB301 (but will mount a Sumiko Blue Point Special into the RB301) -- $895.00

(03). Music Hall MMF 5.1 (w/Goldring GL-2200 MM Phono Cartridge, but would like to change it over to an Moving Coil, even if means extending the cartridge budget to $400.00 to $500.00).

And of those three, I have my heart set on the Pro-Ject RM-5 SE (but that doesn't mean that the other two are out of the running. Because, what matter most is how the table will interact with the rest of my system, and will it get the most of what I want to get out of my records with the least amount of wear possible. Most of the records I am going to inherit are between 30 and 50 years old).

But now, my concern is the Phono Stage more than anything. What I am going to do is start out with an inexpensive Phono Stage (like one of the Pro-Jects or the Musical Fidelity V-LPS) and just go for broke and spend my money on the Turntable/Tone Arm/Phono Cartridge this year, and then just go ahead and upgrade to a better Phono Stage next year (when my budget for this component will be about $1,000.00).

For the Phono Stage (that is priced higher than one the Pro-Jects or the Musical Fidelity V-LPS), they're going to include the:

(01). Clearaudio Basic Plus

(02). Music Surroundings Phonomena II

(03). Simaudio Moon 110 LP.

The sound I am going after is one that is of "rhytmic incisiveness", an open and holographic soundtage, wide dynamic range with extension in the top-end and in the bass.

Will a combination of one of these give that sound that I am wanting to get from my vinyl???? Or are there other Phono Stages in the $500.00 to $1,000.00 price range I need to consider???

I am pretty much set on the table right now. It will ultimately be the Pro-Ject RM-5 SE or the Rega P3-24.

The rest of my system is as follows:

Speakers: KEF Reference 102 w/KUBE
Amp: Adcom GFA-545 Mk II
Pre-Amp: Adcom GFP-750 Line Stage (designed and built by Nelson Pass)
Cables: Audioquest will be used throughout
Power Protection: Brickwall or Tripp Lite.

I know this is rather lengthy, but this was the best way of explaining my situation and what I am hoping to get accomplished.

Thanks in advance for any replies that may come my way.

Regards....

--Charles--
128x128chaskelljr2001
Not many people here would agree but I would take the Pro-Ject RM-5 SE (actually 5.1 now) over the P3-24. My dealer sells both and recommended the Pro-Ject, after listening to them side by side I agreed. Both of these tables will need their optional speed controls to sound their best, which some would consider a negative. If you can stretch to the Rega P5 that's a solid upgrade over both.
I am enjoying my Marantz TT15 s2 coupled with a PS Audio GCPH. It provides all the PRAT you are after, along with quiet performance and a three dimensional soundstage. Great on jazz, rock, acoustic, vocals. Natural sybillants, and a nice overall detailed yet neutral sound. Used you would be in the 1500 ballpark, including the excellent Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge. This is my entry level foray and I will be upgrading at some point to improve the overall low end performance which is good but not the be all end all. Music direct was great to work with for the Marantz. I found the GCPH used here.
Thank you all for your kind responses. And just know that while I received all of this advice from you all, I've been proactive in my search also.

And now, I will be adding the Rega P5 to my shortlist. And this is right along with the Rega P3-24 and the Pro-Ject RM-5.1 SE.

I also have a classic Thorens TD-165 in my possession now. But it will need a dust cover (the one I have now is cracked in one place, and actually broken off in one of the front corners), it needs a cartridge (and I'll be looking at a Grado Prestige Gold Mk II for this particular "table"), the arm and the suspension needs to be adjusted and calibrated, and it may need a new belt as well. If this turntable requires more work than it is actually worth, then I will opt for one of the Regas listed in the last paragraph.

I am still at a lost as to what cartridge I will be using with the Regas (the Pro-Ject RM-5.1 SE already has a cartridge that I already like, all I got to do is plug it in and start spinning), and right now, I am still looking at Sumikos at this point.

And for the Phono Stage.... I will definitely add the PS Audio GCPH to my shortlist. Right up to the point that I will get a used here at "A-Gon" (provided the price is reasonable).

WOW!!!! Looks like my foreray into the analog journey is going to be just as adventuresome as ride is going to be when I finally get finished acquiring all the pieces.

Again..... thanks for all the advice I received so far and keep it coming.

Regards.....

--Charles--
Post removed