MM Cartridge or MC Cartridge

I'm embarrassed to say that after owning a ClearAudio Maestro cart for only a month, I had a mishap and damaged the stylus. It's gonna cost $600 to get it replaced. Does anyone have any better suggestions as far as a better cart for the $$, or is this the best for this price range? Also, what are the advantages to a MC cart? I'm just getting back into LP's and have not done the research. Besides, I trust your opinions more than reviews. I will have the opportunity to buy up, so now would be the time to go to a MC cart. Will I have to have a step-up transformer? My phono stage is an Audio Research PH-3 SE.
handymann
What I wanted to hear from DougDeacon was the model MM cartridges he is referring to in his comment, it would be nice to see if there are a few more alternatives.

Wayne
Nandric, your future is as a stand up comic, not in audio. Well, at least you make me laugh.
I've been doing this for 52+ years and actually remember piezo-electric (ceramic/crystal) phono cartridges.

Additionally, I've owned more phono cartridges than most readers have heard. Not bragging, just the way it is. No apologies offered.

Anyway, paired wisely with an appropriate tonearm, a moving magnet/iron cartridge (new or vintage) between $200-$600 will easily outperform virtually every high output moving coil under $1200 or so.

I have strong collection of the moving magnet/iron, sell some of the aformentioned moving coils, and there's no doubt in my ears. Been there, done that.

I can prove this to any visitor. Bring your moving coil.

Crow is served both hot and cold.
Audiofeil, sounds like your mad at somebody. How about mentioning some of your current MM favorites, by current I mean I can still buy new now, not used. We have 4,000 posts on old MM/MI elsewhere. In my case preferably something you may think would work with a heavier mass arm. I have this Jelco 750 sitting around that I would like to try a MM/MI on. I have a few lighter headshells to bring the mass down a bit.
Not mad.

Dogs get mad, people get angry.

Not angry either, just emphatic regarding the old wives' tale that moving coils are superior to moving magnet/iron cartridges.

You can private email me to discuss specifics.

IMO, you're making a mistake by not considering used cartridges. Simply look for a member with a good track record and feedback.