Looking to get back into Vinyl.

hello everyone,
I'm just getting back into HiFi after a couple of years in the wilderness. I'm looking to add what I suppose wil be a mid range TT combination. Reading through the press I was thinking of a clearaudio concept or a VPI Classic. I've had a Gyrodec(sme V) previously and enjoyed it immensely and I have 1000+ LP's that I'm looking forward to digging back out. So reccomendations for :

1. Turntable and arm around $2000
2. Cartridge around $500
3. Cheapish Phono stage that'll work with my AM-77 $500

I'm happy to buy second hand, in fact thats probably my preference as I'll be able to get more performace for my money.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.... please feel free to reccommend one compopnant or all three.

Thanks guys.
borg7x9
I second the VPI classic suggestion. Better sound, better value. It has a clear path of upgrades. Clearaudio stuff has many reliability issues.
If I were you, I would get a Denon DL-103R for about $260 and apply the
savings towards a better phono stage.

The 103R is an excellent cart. IMHO, you will have to go up to $1,000 range to
find something marginally better. I have a number of carts including a Zyx Airy
2, a Lyra Helikon, a Shure V15Vxmr, and the DL-103R. At the end of the day, I
find myself listening to the 103R most often. So save yourself some money on
the cart and get a better phono stage.

BTW, the 103R likes a heavier arm. If you are getting a VPI either with a
10" or a 9" arm, you will need to weight down the head shell a bit to
get the bass right.
It may depend upon how much free time and curiosity you have, but perhaps starting with something trashy and moving up might be fascinating and educational, here's my story:

I started at "mid-fi" with a VPI Scoutmaster and Dyna 20x. Loved it but wasn't satisfied, esp. with vocals, choral sound and piano, which thinned a little too much towards the end of records and often mistracked. Went to the Dyna XX2 and those problems were dramatically reduced, but not completely.

I traded both TT and Cart in for an SACD/CD player capable of downloading. Love it. On a lark, I plugged in a friends dusty old Vintage Pioneer with unknown cart and was absolutely floored by the sound: same old analog "magic:" relaxed, laid-back delivery, great bass, spacious soundstage, using a typical Wilkinson/Ansermet recording. Of course, "problem" records were still problems (the Mercury Janis Prokofiev 3rd, last few minutes) but the sum-total uniquely mesmerizing Lp sound was still there. I wish I had started with vintage.
I would go even cheaper at this point in time. I would go for a VPI HW-19 mark? or a Music hall MF-7 table. The reasoning behind the picks. They are easy tables to set up without pulling out your hair. the pre can be something again simple such as an Adcom GPS 565. There built well and the phone stage is tops. I will leave the cartridge to others since I don't listen to enough of them to give you a strong opinion.This will leave you with plenty of cash in pocket and with an excellent front end and preamp to boot.
This is another "bump it up" recommendation but it is the holiday season and you should indulge yourself! TT - Well Tempered Amadeus (~$2800); Cartridge - Ortofon 2M Black (~$670); Phono Stage - Jolida JD 9 (~$500). The "weak link" in these recommendations is the Jolida, but is is only weak in comparison to the others, which are stellar performers, particularly the Amadeus.