how do you determine anti-skate settings?

my tt (Origin Live Illustrious) has no scale for anti-skate, which consists of a little weight hanging from a string, connected near the rear of the arm. Is there any good method, or tool, or test record to use, for determining optimum anti-skate settings?
128x128lloydc
Some basic physics: the skating force results from the fact that the stylus drag generated by the stylus moving though the groove is not directed straight back to the pivot point due to the off-set head. This drag is the result of friction. The amount of friction (and thus the amount of drag) will depend on the VTF and also the stylus geometry. Different cartridges with different geometries (fine line, micro ridge, elliptical etc.) will require different anti-skating compensation. It should also be obvious that setting the anti-skating on blank vinyl (no groove) is worthless. It must be done by ear with the needle in the groove.
I adjusted my ant-iskating on blank vinyl and it corresponded to my ear in the groove.
Thanks so much for all the responses. I am experimenting with the suggestions. Best results seem to fall in the minimal settings region.

My former arm, a Rega, seemed to do best with the antiskate at about half the recommended force, as some suggested.

My new cartridge is a Lyra Helios. They are adamant that tracking force should stay within a narrow recommended range, as it is a crucial element of the design, so there is not much wiggle room on VTF. Great cartridge, btw.