how do you determine anti-skate settings?

my tt (Origin Live Illustrious) has no scale for anti-skate, which consists of a little weight hanging from a string, connected near the rear of the arm. Is there any good method, or tool, or test record to use, for determining optimum anti-skate settings?
128x128lloydc
I keep it as minimum as possible as long as stylus doesn't damage the groves from the start by sliding rapidly or simply try to place the needle right on the beginning of playable grove.
What I would try is to keep backing the skate level off until the needle just starts to skip and sounds like it isn't playing right..That tells you the A/Skate is too low..Then just add back a very small amount at a time..Once it sounds great don't go any further..As mentioned less is better.....Trust your ears..It works...
In addition to the suggestions above, a commonly used method is to view the cartridge from the front while a record is being played, and adjusting the anti-skating force such that the left or right deflection of the cantilever (if any) is the same as it is when the stylus is lifted off of the record.

Skating force will vary somewhat with the position on the record, so if that method is used the check should be performed at more than one point.

There are more sophisticated methods available, for instance using an oscilloscope to monitor the signals while a suitable test record, such as the Analogue Productions "Ultimate Analogue Test LP," is being played.

As the others have indicated, it is best to err in the direction of too little anti-skating force, rather than too much. Some people find that none at all works best.

Regards,
-- Al
If you consistently observe mistracking in the left channel, decrease the anti-scating; if the mistracking is in the right channel, increase it. You can use test records for this or just listen to your own records. The inner cuts are usually the most critical.