best cartridge under $500

I purchased a VPI HW19 Mk3 w/ sme 3009 series 2. I would like to stick with a $5-700 price range. I have lot of used records and 180 gram ones, also "rough" records that have some scratches. Is there any particular cart or stylus type would you recommend?
jhorsh
I have to second Dougdeacon's comments. I owned a denon d160 and a denon 103R prior to reading Raul's MM vs. MC thread. I purchased 3 different Empire cartridges and all for $70 or less. Originally I purchase one and it blew my moving coils out of the water. This brought on the need for a second as a backup cartridge. The second is better than the first. This convinced me to sell my moving coils. Finally I purchased a third Empire which is rather astounding. With re-tips down the road I could possibly be set for life. Read and learn and enjoy Raul's MM vs. MC thread.
Sincerely,
Agree with Doug with a single caveat. IME there are a handful of moving coils under $2K that are just as enjoyable or perhaps more than some of these excellent moving magnets. Zyx Airy 3 being one example.

However, I'm a big moving magnet fan and almost 50% of my cartridges are moving magnet/iron. Cut my teeth on the original Shure V-15 (old fart). They are by leaps and bounds much better values than moving coils. No contest.

For the past month or so I've spent a fair amount of time with these moving magnets:
ADM-TRX-2
Audio Technica ATN-150MLX
Audio Technica AM-30s
Signet TK7SU

I owned the Signet back in 1977 and parted with it foolishly. Recently came across an NOS and jumped at it. They are very difficult to find (NOS stylus almost impossible) but simply one of the finest cartridges I've heard/owned. If you find one buy it or email me.

It's stunning how wonderful many moving magnets sound.

No financial interest involved
I am a moving coil user but with the SME I would use MM, they are a better fit for the characteristics of the arm; they are the type of cartridge it was designed to use.There are many choices, I like the contemporary Ortofon "color" line up but NOS is also good.