Anybody own any direct-to-disc LP's?

I remember in the mid 70's direct-to-disc LP's were being touted. As I can remember, the concept sure sounded like a good idea. I was in college and had just bought my first receiver back then and could barely afford cut-outs or promotional LP's from my local record store. No way could I afford the premium prices for the direct to disc LP's. Decades later when I eventually found my way to high end audio, direct-to-disc had long vanished. Were they that good?
128x128mitch4t
I still remember first hearing "the Missing Link." Later in a dealers (remember those guys), I heard it being used to wow a customer. When the dealer was called to the phone, I told the guy to play to ask for a disk that you are familiar with.

I now find most of these disks still outstanding sound but weak performances. I seldom place any of them. Many, especially Sheffields were transferred to cds. Several were, indeed, redone by FIM and are quite good soundwise. Many of the d2ds were abused using the Decca London cartridge. It was a very dynamic cartridge and sounded "real" with these disks, but it loved to mistract and damaged many. No doubt including many of mine.
My early copy of "Growing Up In Hollywood Town" came in a box. The later version was in a sleeve. They sounded different to me. Others in the series also seemed to vary in quality from copy to copy. Just saying the usual rules still apply to pressings, so just because you have heard one........
Mitch,

Vinyl, even at 45rpm, still has much higher distortion and less dynamic range than reel-to-reel. Believe it or not, back in the 70s' and 80s', vinyl was considered to be an inferior media. It was better than cassette and 8-tracks but reel-to-reel, particularly the higher speed ones, produce a kind of effortless quality that no vinyl can match.
Most all of the ones I own/have heard sound great. Al's recommendation of Sheffield Labs is a great place to start.
Sidssp, that is simply not true.I started in the early 60s and by the 80s reel to reel was essentially dead. I gave away my considerable collection of prerecorded tapes sometime in the 70s, despite using Revox, Tandberg, Ferrograph and several others I never got the same quality I got from LPs and my LP playback equipment them was primitive compared to now. If you are talking about 30 IPS half track I would agree that it was very good but only the pros used it and not that many of them.