Changing from an XV1-S

Hi All

I'm considering (read hankering) for a new cartridge. I have been using a Dynavector XV1-S for a while now and although it really is good I feel that other manufacturers have overtaken this recently with units that cost a 'tad' less.

It's going on my VPI Classis/ 10.5 and the new Whest PS.30RDT Special Edition/ Conrad Johnson ART MK1/ Levinson 331 Poweramp/ JM Lab Scala Utopia. The general sound from the system is excellent to bloody brilliant BUT having just heard an Ortofon Cadenza Black in the system I am led to believe that the XV1-S technology is 'getting on'.

A friend has recommended the Ortofon A90 or Lyra Titan.
Is there anything else I should look at?

My musical tastes are wide BUT do not include Opera, Classical or choir. I like vocals but love instumentals.

Thanks for your help - if I get any :)

dcarol
DCarol, was there any change in loading or gain on the phono stage when comparing the A90 to the XV-1s?
DCarol,
That was an interesting report. You heard a bunch of cartridges in a short time. Are you confident that there was enough time to set them all up properly, or was each cartridge in its own headshell or arm wand for easy swapping? I found that it took quite a while to dial in my cartridge with proper alignment and loading, VTF, VTA etc.

I would love to hear the A90 and compare it to my PC-1.
Yes im also very curious as to how the test fell in place , from what i read there was one TT involved and one arm .
Question?
-did the dealer set the trackingforce from memory (paperwritings) or something like that for each and individual cart.
- Did the dealer changed the loading for each cart?
-did the dealer move the arm up or down at the back? VTA as that is called in engish i believe ?
What was the used phonostage again ?
I Read a "AYRA "phonostage i suppose you ment ayre and the rest of the system being ayre to.
Assumptions...

As a classical listener, I was amused that you delegated the Lyras to us. I've heard Lyras, and found them very boring and didn't serve the music. Why would you think I'd like my Stravinsky or Bax presented in any less of a fashion than my Kenny Dorham or Pere Ubu?

Seems like you staged your musical experiment to serve your outcome. Any table, even the lowest priced Music Hall, could present small differences in the cartridges mentioned.

Very interesting thread, nontheless. Threadster poses question, two very reputable dealers give sound advice, and threadster ignores advice. Then havoc ensues.

Typical...