VPI Classic Cartridge Help

Soon I will be purchasing a VPI Classic and an considering Cart choices. I would like to stick with a $5-700 price range initially. My current rig is a Rega Planar 2 with Ortofon Blue. I purchase a lot of used records at used record stores, thrift stores, etc and wondered about playing these records with a more expensive cartridge. I clean with a VPI RCM but am concerned about beating up a good cart. with "rough" records that have some scratches. Is there any particular cart or stylus type that I should consider? I wanted to order the VPI with the cart installed at the factory and have it checked by the dealer- I think that narrows the choice of cart. manufacturers.

The rest of my system: B&W 802D, Spectron amp, Cary SLP03 Preamp.
stl114_nj
St11 14
the outer ring help to flatten the LP just like the clamp, it make the music sound more weight and don't really have words for it, i took the advise from someone that said even if you decide to sell in 2 to 3 year time, most likely your depreciation is about 25% as this is stainless steel, maybe price will continue to go up. i don't find it troublesome at all, it actually looks very nice.
i got good price from my deal VPI HRX-clamp and outer ring for C$660 plus taxes
Csng1 is correct and the ring is expensive due to the size and scrap to manufacture. It is comparable to the Sota vacuum platter without the complexity and reliability. It is truly awesome and after 2 other VPI tables the classic with accessories is truly my last analog table. I am a believer of closer to the master tape of retrieval and could not consider spending more or settling for less.