Anyone here knows the Reed 3Q tonearm?

Hello Guys,

I saw the Reed 3Q around the net and it smells a good tonearm .. it's interesting the 12" Reed 3Q or better I could be interested for my TW Acustic Raven One
Anyone here knows this arm and how it works/sounds?

here the link to see the Reed 3Q 12" tonearm

http://www.excelstereo.com/reed.htm

Best wishes to everyOne

Curio
128x128curio
Dear Curio: The tonearm effective mass certainly is important but IMHO the build material ( arm wand/headshell ) and the " signature " resonance along the cartridge body build material is critical.

The Ziricote and Red Cedar even than both are wood I think that's its signature with the cartridge performance sound is different and the only way to know if you will like it is that you hear both ( wood arm wans. ) in your system.

I totally agree with Geoch: we need ( first than all. ) the best source we can get and then matched tonearm.

The LP is very fine cartridge but maybe with a wood tonearm there is to much of the same.

In your system there is no way that any of us could give you a precise advise about tonearm. With any cartridge ( in your saystem ) IMHO you have to test several tonearms till you find the right for you.

In the other side I'm saying that assuming that each one audio link in your system is neutral, accurate, matched and with right overall set up. If not then as Geoch point out could be other " factors " where you now are hearing its " influences " when before you was unaware: if this is the " probelm " well you need to solve identified where comes those " colorations/distortions " and try to fix it.

A tonearm IMHO is a tool and must be ideally a neutral tool with out itself sound/colorations/distortions to make more easy the cartridge match. This is more easy to say it that to find out.

Today, outside/commercial is there a best tonearm?, not yet there are several very good designs and that's all. What we can find is a best cartridge/tonearm combination and what IMHO you are/should looking for is that tonearm that could help your LP cartridge can shows at its best and this is a " job " that needs time, patience, know how and opportunities to bring/have different tonearm " on hand ".
Of course this is if you are looking for Excellence level.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Curio,

I think it's a case of matching issue, probably too much of one flavour, lets call it "Yin". I had heard Benz LP in the past which i recall as being refined, smooth and a touch laid back and I had TW Raven 1 in the past too. And i now use a 12 inch Reed 2A(cedar wand) with Lyra Delos or a modified Denon 103R with Midas aluminium body + Expert stylus' sapphire cantilebver and paratrace stylus. The later 2 cartriges give me the energy and dynamic to go with the nice tone and big sound.

You might need consider cartrige change or one with Panzerholz wand to bring back the sound balance that you like or may be the Reed is just not the right arm for your Benz/TW R1/system/taste.
I'm thinking I need a less high arm mass than the Ziricote 22gr. arm wand.
I don't like the additional warmth I'm getting through the whole spectrum (wave band) and I'm starting to guess this is due to the high arm mass.
IMHO the best solution .. if I want to choose for the Reed 12" - Benz LP combo .. is the Red Cedar arm wand .. that is about 14gr. arm mass.
With this arm mass I'm sure I won't get the additional warmth , and I 'll get only the positive attributes of the 12" inches arm.. and in this case the fantastic detail , inner detail and soundstage of this Reed 12" inches.
I like alot the Benz LP sound and there is no reason to change cartridge.
On the contrary I 'll search for the best arm for it.
This is a fixed point for me.