Vintage Phono Stage? pros and cons

With so many different phono stages out there, why buy new? There has to be some fantastic deals out there on vintage phono stages if you know your history of the giants going back in time. Do the new phono stages offer anything new? has the technology gotten better or is ease of flexibility the only thing that has improved? does the sound degrade over time?
128x128musichead
Mike,
Where do you think the difference comes from? Is it only in parts selection? Or is it a difference in physical implementation of the design, or is there a fundamental difference in circuit design which makes them quieter?
Dear Mikelavigne: +++++ " i agree with Myles; current SOTA phono stages are much quieter than vintage. and with phono stages, it's almost all about the noise floor. " +++++

well IMHO that could be true on tube electronics, with SS designs the noise in vintage phono stages was/is no issue.

In the other side, if it is true that noise level is very important on audio electronics and especially when we are talking of phono stages this noise factor/parameter IMHO it is not " almost all on phono stages " but only one factor/parameter in the phono stage quality performance.

First we need accurate RIAA performance, second low very low distortions and third/fourth enough gain with out noise.
In Phono Stages RIAA accuracy is the name of the game, phono stages exist because the needs of an inverse RIAA eq. not because " low noise ": accuracy is IMHO the most and critical subject in Phono Stage designs.
Now, if noise is so important to you I can't understand why you show on your virtual system a tube phono stage that certainly is not the best/a peer on that subject:????? and certainly not even accurate.

Btw, T_bone what define a phono stage quality performance ( including low noise. ) are in this order: circuit design, circuit boards layout, parts selection and quality level implementation.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
For those who know?? Is it more important to have a SOTA phono section if you are using a mc rather than a mm cartridge? I purchased a Rhea and almost immediately started using mm cartridges. Do I really need the Rhea?
Dear Rnadell: On either cartridge MC/MM design if you want that your cartridge shows you at its best IMHO you need SOTA phono stage level.
The MM/MI analog source alternative demand for the best too, at the end the cartridge signal ( MM or MC ) must pass trhough the phono stage where the signal suffer a degradation, as better your phono stage as less signal degradation you have.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.