Clearaudio Double Smart Matrix or Loricraft PRC4

Anyone with exspearience with these two specific units shed some light.

I don't currently have much of a record collection but looks like I will, just got back into vinyl and really enjoying so a really good cleaner is important to me.

The Clearaudio; I like the idea of cleaning both sides at the same time but just not sure if there will be issues with that down the road and really just how good of a job does it do. How quiet is it compared to the specific Loricraft I'm looking at.

The Loricraft; I like how it uses that thread for cleaning, a freind has the PRC3, a few years old and seems to be very happy with and says it does a great job, I saw him do a record and it really didn't take all the long but was pretty load to me anyways once the vacuum was put on. Maybe I don't even need the model I'm looking at, put the $400 into some music, maybe the PRC3 MK2 would be sufficient.

Thoughts....

128x128dev
HI Peter,

well I was hoping that the lack of cleaning backlog was due to the Loricraft/Monk/Clearaudio machines being faster. Apparently, from your response, a PRC4 wouldn't help as much with my backlog as I thought. :-(
Hello Dan,

Right you are. My PRC4 with the AIVS 4-step (two rinse) process takes 20-25 minutes per side. I follow this with a demag and new inner and outer sleeves. I think Dougdeacon spends about the same time per side with his PRC3.

V e r y s l o w g o i n g. But the results are fantastic. As Doug says, it's about the added involvement one experiences from the increased information being extracted from the grooves. There is a lot worse than a backlog of unclean records stacked in a corner. As I tell my friends who express an interest in LP's...."Analog is a commitment."
Dan,
You've seen our clean-me-now pile in the LR and that's barely a tenth of it.

As Peter says, for throughput compared with wand style machines, a Loricraft can be part of the problem, but not part of the solution. Vacuuming alone takes ~1 minute per sweep X 6 sweeps/side. If speed is your goal don't count on a thread style machine to help. If I ever want to hear all our records I may need to hire somebody! :-(

We've yet to find a magic bullet to shorten our process to < ~15 minutes/side without impacting results. We'd hoped steaming might replace our 5 minute enzyme soak. No luck, and there's no other step in our process it could replace that would save any time.

Of our ~15 minutes, 6 are consumed by vacuum sweeps and 5 by the enzyme soak. Applying the other 4 fluids takes only ~1 minute/each. I don't include demagging, predusting and resleeving times, since those steps can be done whilst another LP is on the RCM.

Agree with Sonofjim that it's all about personal preference, both for cleanliness levels and for what makes sense to each of us. I'm sure Markd and Hdm are correct that wand style machines can be effective if used with intelligence and care. A thread style machine makes it a easier and largely foolproof to vacuum really well, though certainly at a cost in money and some extra minutes/side.

The Audiodesk machine Peter mentioned once interested me. 100 LPs in 8 hours with minimal user involvement is tempting. I once spent a similar period to do just 36 LPs, and with fewer solutions than we use now. It took my entire attention for a whole day, woo-hoo! Unfortunately, from operational information provided by the dealer and direct comparisons reported by an owner, it's apparent the Audiodesk cannot clean as well as our current process.

Again, it's our choice to insist on maximal information retrieval as against convenience. We only listen to 3 records, but d@amn they sound good! :-^)
Well, I guess our approaches are on par time-wise. I'd say it takes me ~20 minutes just to clean a record.

But remember, I have to do everything manually. Except the sucking part, of course. Not only do I still have a backlog, but I'm developing carpal in both wrists. :-)
Hi Peter and Doug,

May I ask, what product do you use to demagnitize the LPs after cleaning? Thanks for your helpful posts.