What vintage Technics tables are best?

Which are best for audiophile listening?
tbromgard

None, if you ask a Linn LP 12 owner. All, if you ask just about anyone else.

For an extreme audiophile experience, I would think an SP 10, SP 15 or 25 with a suitably matched arm cartridge and/or tweaky plinth is what you want.

I have never had one, but still remember the gold old days of listening to music on my Kenwood KD 500 and Yamaha PX 2 in my youth, before audiophilia nervosa set in.

T Bone has a lot of expertise on Japanese turntables if you search for his name.
There is a lot of information in the forums regarding the sl-1200 mk/2. After you get done here, then go over to Audio Asylum as well as Vinyl Engine for more info.
the usual suspects are the SP-10 MKII, or if possible, the very rare SP-10 MKIII(supposedly the ultimate Dir Drive TT). Either with the arm of your choice, but there are many who love the 100 series arm that came with the MKII
If you are looking for vintage Japanese TT, I would take Kenwood 500 over
Technics 1200 any day.
i bought a used sp25 and built a heavy plinth for it. i use a fidelity research fr14 and a benz h20 cartridge, the combo rivals my micro seiki ddx1000 with a breuer 5c arm and benz h20.
see pics on my virtual system.
the sp25 is a bargain compared to the high dollars that you have to spend on the sp10's.