Technics 1200 MKII Quartz Speed Strobe Issue Video

Ok, this is my first post, so be nice. I am a hardcore record collector and I am slowly trying to step up in the world of sound. I don't plan to go all the way into full on "audiophillia" and funds are limited. I am just working at creating a nice solid good sounding system.

I have a Marantz 2552b and some vintage Technics SB-6060 speakers. Nothing "special" but I'm happy with them for now.

Anyhow, I recently got a pretty good deal on a used Technics 1200 MK2 Quartz and brought it in to a local hi fi repair shop. Essentially what I got back is kind of a "Frakenstein" between parts of my original TT and parts of one the shop had that had many parts in better shape. Now, I am OK with this because It looks much better and didn't have a dust cover before. Now it looks good and has a dust cover and a much nicer face plate etc...

Now, I don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me but it appears to me that the strobe dots slightly wobble back and forth slowly. I am including a link to a video that shows this. I don't seem to notice it on playback but every once in a while I think I hear fluctuations and quite frankly I'm just paranoid now that something is wrong. Below is a link to a video of the strobe. It is locked into the 0 position. This TT does have quartz lock. I am sorry for the bad video but I'd like to have other eyes inspect this and let me know what they think. I am going to bring it back to the shop and ask for a proper zero point calibration.

I am also considering changing the tone arm. Does anyone besides KAB do this and what kind of price range am I looking at? I'm already like $300 into this TT! My budget is limited but I'd like this TT to be "pimped out" to some degree...

Thanks

DivShare File - Strobe1200.avi
greenfuzz
While I am on the subject maybe I should just send it to KAB? Anyone have experience sending their 1200 in and getting it modded etc?? General price tag for such an adventure?? How much do they charge to install the mods?
Have you tried oiling the spindle?

The oil doesn't last forever in there and can probably drain out during shipping. I bought a brand new SL210M5G; soon after I bought a little tube of the Technics spindle oil from KAB and used up half the tube putting oil into the bearing reservoir. I noticed the sound became smoother and subtle speed variations disappeared. Technics recommends re-oiling the spindle for every 1000 hours of play anyway. For $4.95 I'd try that first.
Sounds like a good idea JohnnyB. I decided to send the 1200 off the Kab for the Cardas re-wire & the tonearm dampener as well as have a look over. Look forward to hearing the results.
I have had my 1200s for nearly twenty years, and I was not the first owner. I have never oiled my bearings and do not plan on doing so.

One caveat with used 1200s, these tables are the skratch djs table of choice. It goes without saying that skratching is hard on a TT, especially when you don't know how to skratch. As a result there are many used 1200s that have been abused to the point of no return.

If the big dots on the platter do not remain perfectly still with the pitch set to 0 there is a problem with the table. If the dots move slowly but at constant speed then there maybe a problem with the pitch adjustment, this should be easily repairable.

The problem you are describing sounds worse, if the dots are still for a while and then suddenly begin to move then either the servo motor is shot or the strob is. In either case it is not good.

Contrary to belt drive table where wobble is common and usually can be repaired by instaling a new belt, with a Technics 1200 the problem means replacing a motor.

As for the Cardas litz wire upgrade, it is good. I upgrade one of my table myself. But before spending anymore on upgrades I would sell the table you have a buy a new straight out of the box. I personally would not bother with the KAB upgrades, rather spend a little more a decent cartridge.

Finally, do not give in to all the hoopla about belt vs direct drive, the 1200 are an amazing bargain. IMHO You would have to spend in the thousands to find an equivalent table. Unfortunately you were simply unlucky with the you got.
Nick,

I appreciate the insight but I actually sent the table off to KAB today. If there is a deeper problem I'm assuming he will find it before adding any upgrades etc. I would think the first shop would have noticed a bad motor as well?? Let's hope that's not the case!

I am wondering , did you watch the strobe video I posted? It played fine and I wasn't hearing any fluctuations. It was just the dots that concerned me. The DJ that I bought it from was definitely not a scratch dj. He played more dance and house stuff in the 90's.

I'm willing to put some more into this table. I also think that if there are deeper issues that KAB will certainly notice them and alert before moving on.

I sure hope it's not a motor issue!