Milty Zerostat - Questions

I recently purchased a new Milty Zerostat gun, but I don't think it's working properly. I need help answering the following:
- Am I using the Zerostat correctly?
- Do I have a defective unit?
- Is this yet more audiophile BS?

Usage:
I hold the gun about 5" above the spinning record, slowly pulling the trigger (no click). I then point the gun elsewhere when releasing the trigger, and repeat this about 2 or 3 times per side. I can hear a very, very faint burst of air emitted from the gun, but it doesn't sound like very much.

Problem:
I have a box of recently inherited albums, all of which are in good condition, but have a substantial amount of static cling (and dust). After using the Zerostat in the method described above, I have failed to notice any audible difference. There is still a noticeable amount of pops/crackles when I play the records. Additionally, I have found that the dust particles (or paper particles from the inserts) have not loosened either. The record brush just spreads the crap around, so to speak. These records probably need a good cleaning, but shouldn't the Zerostat help... at least a bit?

Testing the Unit:
Included in the packaging is a small 'plastic bit' that you affix to the nozzle. When you pull the trigger, the light bulb inside the plastic bit should glow slightly, if the gun is in proper working order. When I attempt this test, the light bulb glows very, very faintly, if at all, and only for a short period of time (.5 seconds). The light bulb definitely glows when I pull the trigger quickly and hear a click. So, do I have a defective unit? The instructions on the box made it sound as if the test is hit or miss.

Should I be kicking myself for spending $100 on a plastic gun? Any/all help would be greatly appreciated (sorry for the book).
jferreir
I am using the Zerostat by Dishwasher to rid my record of static. Period.... That's all this unit does and nothing more.
I agree. What it does is to eliminate static which in turn would attract dust while the record is exposed.

The instructions with my Milty, btw, say to hold it 12 inches above the record, not the smaller distances which have been mentioned.

Those instructions do not address the question of whether or not the gun should be pointed at the record as the trigger is released. However, I recall that the instructions for the Diskwasher Zerostat that I used to have recommended three successive squeezes and releases, with the gun pointed away from the record only during the last of the three releases.

That procedure seems to make sense, as it would reduce the likelihood of either a positive or negative charge being left on the record, compared to a single squeeze or a single squeeze/release.

I choose to repeat those three cycles at each of three different points around the record, from a little closer than the 12 inches that is recommended in the version of the instructions that I have.

Regards,
-- Al

Jferreir, your assertion of how the gun should be used is very accurate in my book. However, what you describe with the trigger and the faint bulb light indicates a broken gun. Mine broke the same way last week after a year's light use and have ordered a new one. It has been well known to me that the zerostat's build quality isn't what it was - see also http://www.2spi.com/catalog/photo/zerostat.shtml

"Because of quality problems in the manufacture of the Zerostat 3, SPI Supplies has suspended sales of this product until further notice."
I tried two Zerostats (one replacing the other) and neither one worked as described. There seemed to be some confusion as to how to operate the Zerostat (multiple threads here and at Vinyl Asylum) so I was able to get directions sent to me directly from a Zerostat representative. He said to hold the Zerostat over the LP, slowly and carefully squeeze the trigger to develop a sustained charge, raise the Zerostat away from the LP and then slowly release the trigger. I never could get a sustained charge. Both of the Zerostats I tried would start clicking as soon as you began pulling the trigger, no matter how slowly and carefully you tried. The best way to energize the tip was to just pull the trigger quickly and release the trigger quickly. But that's not how they're supposed to work so I consider both of them defective.

It wasn't worth the cost of sending them back so I gave one away (why sell something that doesn't work correctly?) and kept the other one around to use after RCM vacuuming records in the winter when static buildup is worse. I haven't done a 'scientific' test to see how well it really does work but it seems to reduce the static somewhat. Though it isn't much of a difference.

Based on my own experience and the comments from many dissatisfied users, my opinion is that the Zerostat is an overpriced product given their very poor quality control. It would be worth the money if it worked as described.

Tom
Forgot to mention that the instructions said you may have to use the Zerostat several times and at different locations for a heavily charged LP and that the final discharge should be away from the LP. Al (Almarg) mentions this.

Because the two units I tried did not work properly I don't know how effective a single charge and discharge would be in eliminating static.

Tom
The Zerostat doesn't take dirt off, that's for cleaning. It does help change the charge on the record so that when you use a brush right before playing it will remove dust. That works fine.

As said above, pops and cracks in general are not just static, that means the record is dirty, or if new has some bonding agent on it that needs to be removed from the grooves.

That said, there are better static removers but they are usually much more expensive.