Cart not parallel after Mint LP alignment?

Howdy,

So after reading about 1000 paragraphs on how good the Mint LP Tractor is - I purchased one and had a marathon session yesterday with my new SL-1210 M5G, AT440MLa and Zupreme headshell...

After all was said and done - the alignment itself took 90 hard minutes - I am finding the cartridge sitting about 5-7 degrees "right" of center. The actual cantilever and stylus are about as dead on as I wanna go with it for now.

Now a comment and a question....

Question: Is this non-parallel result in the headshell normal? It's making me think I may have a bent cantilever or something.

Comment: I have run 10-12 sides thru the rig so far and I must say - I have not yet heard the "revelation" that others have described when comparing their alignments to other protractors or even the white Technics alignment gauge. The rig sounds good...but...what I am missing here.

I must temper the above by saying I have changed phono stages frequently in the last month as well...I was getting nicely familiar with a Bellari VP-130 and then moved that for a Cambridge which lasted less than a week and I now have a Moon LP3 with maybe 25 hours on it...Even my AT440MLa might have 40-50 hours on it as well....

I am thinking that a whole bunch of stuff might need to "burn" in before the system starts to really reveal itself.

But I am very concerned with the stylus/cantilever on the cart...even with all the moves the Mint required...I expected the cartridge to sit straight in the headshell...perhaps expecting too much?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers!

VP
vocalpoint
You're right, of course, Dan. I overlooked the imprecision introduced by the Technics alignment jig. I have an SL-1200, which I aligned with a protractor, and I guess I was thinking of that. In any case, it would be interesting to hear impressions of precisely set-up carts with different geometries!

-Bob
I look forward to your findings in comparing the two alignments. I haven't read of anyone ever doing this before. But I wouldn't be surprised if the differences are pretty minor.

Well - so far - I have had this alignment rolling since thr weekend...and I am still not hearing the audio nirvana that others are touting - hence - the comparison. I figured I would stay as identical as I could...only changing headshells after each side.

We old, hardbitten audio vets have a habit of hyperbole, I'm afraid. And we often make what others would consider minor changes seem like they are night-and-day. If you do hear a difference, I also wouldn't be surprised if are unable to determine whether one alignment is clearly "better" than the other. As in many comparisons, "different" doesn't always mean "better."

The hardbitten audio crowd just wants to feel important much of the time. I am just as guilty as others within certain areas of so called "expertise"...

I relate this "alignment" area with the same general skepticism that I have toward audio cables. Nary has there been a single area in the history of electronics that is filled with more snake oil, scams and skullduggery. However - if you feel that a 500 set of cables makes your music better or brings you more enjoyment - then so be it.

Very similar circumstance here. We all interpret and hear things completely different from one another. After all is said and done - the alignment that gives me what I am looking for - from my music - enjoyment wise - is the right one. And despite what some folks believe - it may end up being the white little jig. Or it may be a very expensive precision protractor.

Also of primary concern - is value vs. effort. If the mint doesn't give me an immediate and noticeable difference in "enjoyment factor"...it is not worth the C note that I paid for it when a 4 cent plastic jig gets me 90% of the way there in less than 2 minutes.

As I get older and crankier - I guess my time is worth just as much as money...and spending hours and hours messing around with this thing makes little sense if the rewards are not obvious.

Whatever happened to 1979? I buy an SL-D2 turntable at Kelly's Stereo Mart...have the guy slap in a 40 dollar Audio Technica cartridge. Plug it into my Pioneer SA-3800...whip out a Rush album and rock on?

Throughout my entire formative years - I never heard of a protractor or had an alignment gauge of any kind. Never seemed to bother me then - and given my enjoyment of music back then vs the endless "tech" tweakin' going on today...I sometimes feel like I spend way to much time dickin' around with the gear instead of just enjoying the music.

Cheers!

VP
Vocalpoint,

what is wrong with you? You are on the wrong website and Forum to talk basic common sense. Please check your common sense hat at the door, and put on you "smarter than the average bear" audio hat. Don't you yet realize that a .0005% improvement in sound is worth $5000? That's just how it is.

That said, I do like the MintLP protractors, but I have used them a bunch, and they don't take me very long to set up. I am accustomed to the process. But, as I said earlier, with my latest table and arm, it was basically dead on with the VPI jig, so.....I see your point.

I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding cables as well. Beyond a basic improment on the first level, I do not hear much difference at all as you move up the crazy priced ladder. Don't get me started on power cables, that's just snake oil in a paper cup!!
OOOOOO! You just lost your accolades, VP. Back to school for you. ;-) I won't waste any of my time with ye. Bye.
Hello, VP, please don't dismiss cartridge alignment. There is a precise point where stylus and grove walls interface. This includes azimuth. Follow this link for a printed arc protractor for your choice Lofgren B, Stevenson or Baerwald (considered there as a variation of Lofgren A):

http://www.conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

Overhang for each differs (IIRC) by about 2.5mm. Using a two point Baerwald at 15mm overhang, your cartridge may be canted several degrees outboard.
The skeptic doubted Confucious's assertion that a man determined to do so could move a mountain. The philosopher replied he would begin, one pebble at a time. In audio, cartridge alignment is one of those pebbles, and cumulatively significant. If you are willing to devote the time needed to tweak cartridge alignment, you will at the least learn not to use your eyes to listen.