Ortofon MC A90 Cartridge VTF

I just spent the weekend at mikelavigne's where we did a comparison with three turntables all using the same Ortofon MC A90 cartridges. We had the cartridges setup at the recommended VTF and they did not all have the same amount of break-in time on them. I decided to see what would happen when we lightened the cartridges up.

We started on the first table and the weight was about 2.25. We lessened the weight until I thought that the sound really locked in. By the time we were done on the first turntable, the VTF was at around 1.56. When we did the second table we got the weight all the way down to 1.92. On the third table it ended up best at about 2.01.

All parties (myself, Mike and Steve) agreed that lightening up the carts really opened things up quite a bit without loss of bass. The inner detail and delicacy inreased as did speed and dynamics.

I called Ortofon and am awaiting a response but I was wondering if those of you who own this cartridge have gone outside the recommended range and if you could share your experiences.

There is more to read about this if you want under mikelavigne's system thread.
jtinn
As a dealer, which wasn't disclosed, I find it amusing you have to ask the readership about your own product.

But then again self promotion is a way of life for you.

What else were you trying to sell Mike?

Go ahead, why not be totally shameless?

It's worked in the past.
Audiofeil, What are you trying to say? Jonathan doesn't know his products. You know that is not the case. I think that what he is doing here should be commended in that he's taking the time to try to get some feedback from his customers, and others, on a product that seems to be performing differently than the manufacturer has suggested. He's even made the effort to contact the company (Ortofon) likely to find out their view on this issue. I totally disagree with your take on this, and think it might stem from a bit of jealousy on your part, sorry.
I totally agree with underdog & you sir (audiofeil) need to grow up.

The Ortofon a90 is a fantastic cartridge. The adjustment(VTF) from the original set up is something everyone should experiment with.

I found the same results after initial break-in is to lighten up the VTF. Soundstage, speed, impact are all improved.

I also feel different tonearm & turntables may prove to have different results.

On the Grand Prix Monaco I found the VTF to be best at 1.95.
so far.
I did a bit of VTF experimentation with my A90/Phantom II/TNT.

At the moment I have VTF at 2.14g. At this setting the sound-space is more expansive and individual images are more lively, dimensional and nuanced (compared to ~2.3g).

Lowering much further produced some tracking issues in my set-up. The Reed arm (used by Mikel) must be a superb tracker to have no problems with the A90 at 1.55g!