Todays new vinyl LP's better than LP's 40 yrs ago?

Are the new vinyl LPs being produced today better than those produced 40 years ago? When buying a vintage jazz album, will I get as good or better sound quality from today's re-issue copy than the original copy issued 40 years ago?
128x128mitch4t
Fleetwood Mac "Rumours" my reference lp. Sometimes I buy several new releases and all sound dull, all I have to do is to play "Dreams" and I back to audio world.
My memory must be going. I just checked and it seems that I posted this same exact thread in 2006. I read the responses of that thread and it seems the responses are almost identical to the responses nearly four years later with people lining up on both sides of the issue.

Click here to see original thread

Oh well, better for my memory to be going rather than my hearing.
I just got the recentrelease by Govt Mule on vinyl, &
the quality is utter crap. Highly compressed, &
low resolution! Just terrible.
I avoid them,always disappointing to originals on 33rpm. My 2 45 box sets sound better than originals in some respects. So I would only buy 45 reissues.My last reissue was zappa hot rats classic records,a total waste of $30 something dollars.No more 33 reissues for me.The tape loss after 40 years is to great to compete with originals.
Pressing an LP is an art and was an art back then and that art is LOST!

But if whatever you're looking for is not available in originals, ya gotta still buy them new. That sucks!