Micro Seiki MB-18

I'm looking into buying a turntable for the first time in 20 + years and have found a Micro Seiki MB-18 in mint operational and cosmetic condition. I've done a bit of research on Micro Seikis but couldn't find much info on this one other than the fact that it is an entry level belt driven table. I really love the way it looks and the brand seems to have a good reputation. I don't consider myself an audiophile but do appreciate quality equipment, listen to music often and plan on re-starting a (mini) record collection. Any opinions or additional info would be appreciate it. Thank you
deafiant
In my former days as a Micro retailer, the MB-18 replaced their MB-15, in 1981. Unfortunately, we could feel some 'slop' in its tonearm bearings compared to the solid-feel of the MB-15's arm.

If you have not yet purchased an MB-18, I would recommend the MB-15 model instead, such as the one currently on eBay. Another excellent choice would be a Harman/Kardon T-30, having less rumble than a Micro MB-15/18 and a better arm.

The direct-drive version of the Micro MB-18 table also underwent the same tone-arm switch. While I do not remember that one's model number, the original one with the same arm as the MB-15 was called the DD-20. One could hear it had less rumble than the MB-15, and was our most popular Micro.

If you do have the MB-18, I would recommend a 'high-compliance' phono cartridge for it, both to suit its low-mass arm and also to put less demand on that arm's bearings.

Here is a link to a flyer on the MB-15 and DD-20, where you can see how their tonearm compared to that on an MB-18: Micro Seiki Literature. Have fun!

Best regards,
Roy
Thanks both for your valuable tips. Roy, as per your recommendation, I just bought instead the HK T-30c online, supposedly in pretty good shape, with an Ortofon OM-5E phono cartridge. I can't wait to getting back to record playing. Best regards
Congratulations! I think you will really enjoy it. Consider setting up the cartridge via an Arc Protractor when you get the H/K: Google Arc-protractor search

Best regards,
Roy
Better Arc-Protractor info: Arc-protractor, as this company offers to make them for people.

Best regards,
Roy
I am wrong to state that the Galibier company will make an Arc Protractor for any TT. I think they can advise on how to get one made for most TTs. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best,
Roy