TW-Acustic Arm

TW-Acustic has a beautiful looking arm. Does anyone know what it sounds like?
128x128gerrym5
Hi Thomas i know you like the breuer therfore my question but if i understand correctly you chose a pivoted arm before a dynamic?
Tks
Hello Perrew,
please, no discussion about who is the best.
I am not the right person for that.
We have some nice Germans here in AudiogoN, they can tell you what is the best.

Thomas
Curio Said it were your words, sorry for the confusion... (Perrew)

Perrew .. you're really "confused" because I never wrote that!!!
Please don't use my name and don't make my name saying thoughts I never had!

Thanks!

Curio
Hi Perrew, a pivot tonearm can be both - static balanced as well as dynamic balanced.
The TW 10.5 is static balanced as are 99% of all tonearms. Dynamic balanced mode does need some specific design features regarding the bearing.
With the TW 10.5 with its gimbal bearing this would of course be possible, but the twin fathers of the TW 10.5 decided to go for the plain and much simpler approach of static balanced mode only.
One must remember, that giving a tonearm the option of dynamic balanced mode does not mean that it is impossible now to use it static balanced mode.
A dynamic balanced mode tonearm can (usually...) also be put in static mode only - if desired (Micro Seiki MAX and MA as well as SME V, FR-60 series etc.).

On the whole scale the 10.5 is a plain and straight forward gimbal bearing pivot tonearm with static balanced mode and medium mass and a geometry based on the IEC standard (which is suboptimal for older records from the late 1950ies to the late 1960ies).
What I am missing here is anything new or special. We do not see anything here - any real technical design feature - which hasn't been shown in previous designs of other manufacturers.
We see some cosmetic hints to the SME V, some to the new Ortofon, we see a - I believe good quality - gimbal bearing, fixed simple one-piece-counterweight on the same horizontal level as the bearing and an antiskating working with the basic idea shown in the Graham Phantom.
What I would have expected and would have liked to see in a tonearm asking $6k is something new, something unusual or at least something more creative.
I expect however that this tonearm will soon be revised and we will see a MK2 version by 2011.